a/c compressor

packie88

does anybody know if our a/c compressors are oiled with the freon or if they have there on oil circulation pump(like some of the old broncos did)???? reason i ask is cause if it has its own resovior/ pump then you can easily turn it into an on board air compressor thats all ready wired up for ya (you would just have to hit the a/c switch.

ALL A/C compressors are lubricated through an oil that is carried via the refrigerant. True, you load the compressor with esther oil or mineral oil or whatever your refrigerant of choice is compatible with (I prefer R-12, so that's either a synthetic POE compound or the old "mineral oil") in liquid form before you install a new one, but once it's in use, all the parts are lubricated by the oil dissolved in the lubricant.

The thing is, some of the older compressors like the York compressor you're referring to didn't rely on the oil to stay circulating throughout the system but had an exterior oil pan that they used as a lube source. They *still* pumped that oil into the system, but you can turn that off and have it rely on the exterior oil source alone. That's why you can get away with converting those to on board air.

That said, there are better battery-operated compressors on the market now.

yea i know there are better battery one on market but i was just thinking if i already had it why no use it and save some money

use it to keep you cool in the summer? :shrug:

:tonguefinger: