Pathfinder wont stay running but starts and idles fine?... HELP

stikky_p

ok now i have another issue that might bring us closer.. when the vehicle is warm and idling.. it idles at about 1000rpm.. now just sitting there in revs slowly up and down.. up to about 1300 then back to 1000 then 3 or 5 seconds later it revs up again then down.. its never a routine thing etiher.. could be gone for 10 seconds then back... im going to look into a vacuum issue this weekend but not sure if a can of carb cleaner or ether will totally do the trick.. any help?

Mine does the same thing, up and down, but not all the time. sometimes its fine. aggravatin problem for sure.

Hey guys... I have a 1987 pathfinder 4x4 manual tranny.. The vehicle runs rather well just at idle. When you push on the pedal it bogs out and wants to stall.. u think u wanna rev it up to feed more idle but it bogs more.. then dies.. its got the electro injection. with the carb and the 2 injectors in the middle. Im thinking it might be fuel problem. either to lean or rich. ive changed to fuel filters and enough fuel pressure seems to be coming through. could it be a vaccum issue? as soon as you press the pedal to accelerate it dies out.. just wondering what the cause might be?? could it be a head gasket issue? i noticed a small coolant leak but im not sure where its coming from.. no overheating or anything tough.. and i only have to fill the resevoiur a tiny bit every now and then.. so im thinking its not that.. need help.. .

Stikky, I had the same issues with my '87 after a day of muddin'. I check everything! or at least I thought I did...end up the timing belt had jumped two teeth on the crank gear from all the mud that had gotten behind the cover!!! After replacing with a new belt, she ran like a top. ;) It's worth a check.

Stikky, I had the same issues with my '87 after a day of muddin'. I check everything! or at least I thought I did...end up the timing belt had jumped two teeth on the crank gear from all the mud that had gotten behind the cover!!! After replacing with a new belt, she ran like a top. ;) It's worth a check.

Check to see if injectors are good and tight. solved mine.

This sounds like a sensor problem to me. I've had problems with other cars not wanting to run right when you press on the gas pedal...it'd stumble badly, try to die, not rev up, but it'd idle fine. It turned out to be the MAF sensor and the TPS BOTH. I'd check the wiring plugs and pull the MAF sensor to make sure the little elements on it are intact and clean. Adjusting the TPS is easy, too. I can post a pic of the FSM on how to do that but it takes a voltmeter...

This sounds like a sensor problem to me. I've had problems with other cars not wanting to run right when you press on the gas pedal...it'd stumble badly, try to die, not rev up, but it'd idle fine. It turned out to be the MAF sensor and the TPS BOTH. I'd check the wiring plugs and pull the MAF sensor to make sure the little elements on it are intact and clean. Adjusting the TPS is easy, too. I can post a pic of the FSM on how to do that but it takes a voltmeter...

pulled the maf and cleaned it, wasnt really dirty. there only 2 screws in it, 3rd on is missing since i bought it. the tps was replaced by someone before i bought it. i wasnt aware it could be adjusted on the 4 cyl. have voltmeter. thing is when i push down on the gas a little ways and then float the pedal up and down it accelerates great. but i gotta keep the up and down on the gas to keep accelerating. if i ease of it like trips on itself. jerkin and crap. ive had great faith in nissan for years, even prompted me to buy a new altima, but this thing is something else. another thing, how can you determine wich coil is the intake side and wich is the exhuast side? my haynes gives color coding but the wires have been changed to aftermarket and dont know if they are even right.