Calipers....

pathfinder93x

Hey guys It seems winter took its tole and finished my calipers... dust boots broke off and now there jammed. Does anyone have a walk through of procedures to fix this issue? Steps of the procedure.... I'd like to get it done myself this weekend? is it a tough job?

BTW Its a 93 pathfinder, automatic.... rear breaks are disks with calipers.

One side got completely jammed so I squeezed the hose so the caliper would stay jammed open.... I feel/hear the other side going

Thank you

Welcome to the forum

in the garage section there are How To's (this is actually the last one on page 3).

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2076

Also search but since your new I didn't want to flame you away!-)

also download the Nissan manual here (helps alot) http://www.phatg20.net/index.php?option=co...ry&Itemid=2

I wouldn't drive that thing until you fix the brakes (obviously)

Edited by MikeVanceinWI

IT'S NOT HARD AT ALL TO EITHER REPLACE THE CALLIPERS WITH REMANUFACTURED ONES OR EVEN REFURBISHING THE ONES YOU HAVE. MAKE SURE TO PUT ON NEW HOSES THAT LEAD TO THE CALLIPERS AS THEY DETERIORATE ON THE INSIDE AND YOU WOULDN'T KNOW IT WHEN LOOKING FROM THE OUTSIDE. THSI COULD BE THE SOLE REASON FOR THEM BEING JAMMED.

IT'S NOT HARD AT ALL TO EITHER REPLACE THE CALLIPERS WITH REMANUFACTURED ONES OR EVEN REFURBISHING THE ONES YOU HAVE. MAKE SURE TO PUT ON NEW HOSES THAT LEAD TO THE CALLIPERS AS THEY DETERIORATE ON THE INSIDE AND YOU WOULDN'T KNOW IT WHEN LOOKING FROM THE OUTSIDE. THSI COULD BE THE SOLE REASON FOR THEM BEING JAMMED.

My calipers seemed to be jammed due to the rubber boots missing... and the 2 cylinders being rusted. Thank you for the link aswell but its not the pins... I've checked them and they slide in and out fine... its literly the 2 cylinders being jammed due to the boots missing...I need to replace both of them I think and at same time change my break pads... any hints on removing the caliper and placing a new one? or doing it in a cost efficient way

pick up a heynes manual for these simple tasks. it's quick and easy and do the hoses man; your pistons could be out and stuck due to them originally and not necessarily due to rust although i am sure that's what's holding them out there now.

New calipers run around $40 each from what I've seen.

maybe in usa. I paid $180 for a pair (i wouldn't replace just one) of remanufatured front calipers. And that was after my $50 core refund.

I had a stuck piston on the L/R when I 1st bought my Pathfinder, Removed the pads and pumped the brake pedal...POP out came the piston. I was lucky though...I had no parts, just cleaned it up with VERY fine sandpaper :aok: Still works great almost 2 years later....*Touches wood*

About a year ago I had some fluid on my L/F wheel....That caliper started to leak...I did it properly though....New seal kit.....$25 :jig:

:ill: Not pretty

Cal.jpg