Brake & Battery Light came on

MJBBMANO

I was driving home today and while the truck was moving the Battery light and Brake light came on. It only did it once and I turned the A/C and radio off. I waited 2 mins and turned the A/C & radio back on. It didn't happen again. Hopefully it won't happen tomorrow. Does anyone know why this could of happen?

1997 LE

Thanks

well, it could also be the voltage regulator, but thats integrated into your alternator and the whole alternator needs to be replaced to fix it. Time to upgrade to a quest! LOL

What are the chances that its the battery? I also had all the belts replaced in Feb/08. Could it still be the tension? The light came on last night on my drive home. As soon as I turned on the A/C.

What are the chances that its the battery? I also had all the belts replaced in Feb/08. Could it still be the tension? The light came on last night on my drive home. As soon as I turned on the A/C.

A low battery won't trigger the warning lights to come on. In fact, you could technically remove the battery from the truck while the engine is running, and the truck would hardly notice the difference. Usually, when the alternator dies, 3 lights glow: BATT, BRAKE, A/T TEMP.

The warning lights probably came on because the A/C draws extra current from the electrical system.

A low battery won't trigger the warning lights to come on. In fact, you could technically remove the battery from the truck while the engine is running, and the truck would hardly notice the difference. Usually, when the alternator dies, 3 lights glow: BATT, BRAKE, A/T TEMP.

The warning lights probably came on because the A/C draws extra current from the electrical system.

Do you think the test auto parts stores do are good? I know Advance discount auto test them. How much longer do you think I have before it dies?

I spoke to the service dept at a Nissan dealer and he said that it might just be the ground. How do I check that? I was also told to check the connector to see ifit's dirty or loose. The dealer wants almost $500 parts & labor.

Edited by MJBBMANO

Do you think the test auto parts stores do are good? I know Advance discount auto test them. How much longer do you think I have before it dies?

I spoke to the service dept at a Nissan dealer and he said that it might just be the ground. How do I check that? I was also told to check the connector to see ifit's dirty or loose. The dealer wants almost $500 parts & labor.

I just called a place that rebuilds them. They are charging me $233 to remove, rebuild and install with a year warranty. Is that a good deal?

I just called a place that rebuilds them. They are charging me $233 to remove, rebuild and install with a year warranty. Is that a good deal?

I took the advice of the dealer and checked the connectors as he mentioned. After disconnecting and re connecting the connectors I haven't had the lights come on since Friday April 4. I took it yesterday to Advanced Auto parts and they tested it. The computer said theres nothing wrong with it. Any suggestions on what could have been the problem?

Thank you all for your help.

I'm currently having the ALT replaced. Is a Bosch ALT good?

It's a little late to ask now, isn't it? You should've selected the equivalent of a Nissan Quest alternator, which puts out 110 amps. The OEM Pathfinder alternator only puts out 90. Not sure what the rating is on the Bosch you're having installed. Oh well, maybe next time.

mIt's a little late to ask now, isn't it? You should've selected the equivalent of a Nissan Quest alternator, which puts out 110 amps. The OEM Pathfinder alternator only puts out 90. Not sure what the rating is on the Bosch you're having installed. Oh well, maybe next time.

Whats the differnce between a 90 & 110 besides the amps? please give me an example. like will it die quicker, not start right. I have the part number and will look up which one I have.

I also had new brakes put in (ceramic). less brake dust cleaning...I hope.

Thanks,

Whats the differnce between a 90 & 110 besides the amps? please give me an example. like will it die quicker, not start right. I have the part number and will look up which one I have.

I also had new brakes put in (ceramic). less brake dust cleaning...I hope.

Thanks,

Should be nothing different except the output. The Quest alternator is more powerful, but if you don't run a bunch of electrical accessories, stereo, lights, winch, etc, then it's probably not necessary. Your truck (if your avatar is a recent pic) looks pretty stock.

Should be nothing different except the output. The Quest alternator is more powerful, but if you don't run a bunch of electrical accessories, stereo, lights, winch, etc, then it's probably not necessary. Your truck (if your avatar is a recent pic) looks pretty stock.

Yes thats the actual pic of my truck.

I have a radar, car radio, xm radio & phone charger plugged in at all times. No upscale audio system. oh yeah I run my A/C a lot since I live in Florida. All items are plugged to a multiple outlet. Is that good for the ALT?

Yes thats the actual pic of my truck.

I have a radar, car radio, xm radio & phone charger plugged in at all times. No upscale audio system. oh yeah I run my A/C a lot since I live in Florida. All items are plugged to a multiple outlet. Is that good for the ALT?

Nothing to worry about with those low-current devices.

• 5 months later...