Engine replacement

Offroad2010

Fellow pathfinder owners.

I have a 1987 pathfinder with 181,000 miles.

Now it's a 3 liter and is not as reliable as things used to be.

I am cut out the body and put roll bars and take it to the dunes.

I am wondering if it is possible to put a larger engine in my

vehicle, or if there is a practical way to going about charging the

dunes in an old clunker

Fellow pathfinder owners.

I have a 1987 pathfinder with 181,000 miles.

Now it's a 3 liter and is not as reliable as things used to be.

I am cut out the body and put roll bars and take it to the dunes.

I am wondering if it is possible to put a larger engine in my

vehicle, or if there is a practical way to going about charging the

dunes in an old clunker

I think a 350 Chevy Shortblock (or maybe largeblock? I dunno) engine replacement is possible...

A chevy 304 or 350 small block will fit..

My suggestion would be find an 86'or87' 350.. and buy it rebuilt or rebuild yourself, you want it with twin 4barrel hollies or edelbrock carbs with a 350 turbo trans...and 4:10 gearing in the rear...

That will be a balls to the walls sick pathy.

If I had my way I would have a EFI converted 383 stroker (bored out 350 w/ a crank from a larger engine) I guess anny small V8 stroker would do but that my favorite. Stroker motors are TORQUEy SOB's producing really low end torqe and lots of power even @ idle.

I know it will fit cause I've seen on one of the nissan forums out there wd21 and d21 nissans with 350's in em.

Except that if he buys an LS1, he'll get two or three times the horsepower and it won't spazz out and die at high angles like carbed engines do.

I've always liked a carbed engine 304/350/454... I've also never had any problem with the "spazzing out and then die" while climbing. If tuned right it will have alot more power than EFI. EFI is only good for those cold winter starts and a little less work(tuning wise).

Just dont buy anything mopar...Stick with a Chevy or Ford Motor

"Tune it right"

Hm, okay. Let's see. Out of the box, the Chevy Smallblock 350 makes about 280hp, max without aftermarket parts. The LS makes, oh.... 350-500, depending on which LS motor you get.

You can get an LS cheap out of a wrecked GM car or truck of recent vintage. SBCs are starting to become hard to find in junkyards, save for those few that cater to older vehicles.

Assuming equal dollars spent on both, for the price of a reliable, properly tuned 500hp carbed SBC, you can have a 900hp LS1.

And you never have to rejet when the weather changes.

Edited by GhostPath

I think a 350 Chevy Shortblock (or maybe largeblock? I dunno) engine replacement is possible...

I think the term your after is "Small block"? as a short block is the block with no heads. :aok:

2nd what GrimGreg said :D

A chevy 304 or 350 small block will fit..

I think you mean a 305 or a 350.

My suggestion would be find an 86'or87' 350.. and buy it rebuilt or rebuild yourself, you want it with twin 4barrel hollies or edelbrock carbs

Have you been talking to gearheads at the dragstrip lately? That wouldn't be a good combo for low-speed trail running.

with a 350 turbo trans...and 4:10 gearing in the rear...

That will be a balls to the walls sick pathy.

Considering Pathys come with either 4.3 or 4.6 gearing already, no need to go down a step to 4.10's. ;) Also, a 700R4 4-speed OD would be MUCH better for on-road MPG's AND off-road crawling. The 700R4 has a granny low first gear that the TH350 doesn't even come close to matching.