Starter Wire and Plug - Where Does it Go?

Zilverado

So, I'm having some starter trouble (no starter action), so I started with the corroded battery cables - which was the problem last time - but still no luck.

I stuck my hand down to "feel" around the starter connections and discovered a disconnected plastic connector. Now I'm not sure if I disconnected it while feeling around, but I don't think so.

It has an orange boot and a single wire. The other end of the wire comes from the harness somewhere near the front of the harness. It's EXTREMLY tight in there, so I can't realy tell what's going on.

Does anyone know where this plug goes? The boot was quite oily, so I suspect it's somewhere around or below the oil filter, but I can't access anything under there. I suspect I should remove the oil filter to get a little better access, but I thought I'd ask the question...

I have attached a photo to help describe this. Hopefully someone can give me some ideas.

post-3305-1206815619_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zilverado

That's your starter solenoid trigger wire. Mine has the same plug but no boot. Needs to be plugged in for the starter to work IIRC. ;)

Thanks Man, but can you recall where it plugs in (front, back, side...) - since I'm working by "feel" here? I think I'll remove the oil filter to try and see if I can get a better view. It's time for an oil change anyway...:)

OK - So I am officially an IDIOT!!!!

Turns out that the wire actually belonged to the oil pressure sending unit - which I replaced last year with a mechanical one - - AAARRRGGHHHH!!!!!!

After removing the oil filter and soaking the starter with engine cleaner to try and find the missing "connector", I finally gave up. I temporarily re-attached the battery cables to try the starter again, and WHALLA - it bumped forward every time I tried. So I guess the combination of cleaning the contacts and de-greasing the starter got everything going again.

Never the less - - I'm still an idiot. :wacko::crazy:

Yep, that's definately the oil pressure sensore wire. BTW, you spoke of corroded battery cable a year ago. Have you replaced it, or did you just clean it up? If not, you can get a new after market one for like $10 and replace it from the battery straight to the starter. No more problems. :)

That's your starter solenoid trigger wire. Mine has the same plug but no boot. Needs to be plugged in for the starter to work IIRC. ;)

Nope, the solenoid trigger is similar, and no boot. I only remember cause my oil sensor wire's plug disentigrated, and I had to swap it out (with boot) from to a junkyard special. That boot likes to collect all sorts gunk over the years. That's another really swell Nissan design.

Yep, that's definately the oil pressure sensore wire. BTW, you spoke of corroded battery cable a year ago. Have you replaced it, or did you just clean it up? If not, you can get a new after market one for like $10 and replace it from the battery straight to the starter. No more problems. :)

WOW!!! That's a good memory you have (or did you search for my previous thread)? Bach then I never did do a cable/terminal swap - just a good cleaning. Even now, the cables themselves are still pretty good, it's the cheap (thin) little copper terminal clamps that are the problem. This time I actually had to cut them off of the battery, so now I'll be replacing them with heavier lead terminals - simple enough.

Unfortunately, the body of my ride is getting to the point where more costly (time and money) repairs will be getting "weighed" and the painful question of "is it worth it" will be asked. We've really enjoyed this vehicle, but with over 330,000 km and the body rust, I'm not sure how much longer she'll be in the stable. Hopfully when the time comes, I can find another Pathfinder to take her place...

Thanks for the help.

Turns out that the wire actually belonged to the oil pressure sending unit

yep thats true...my 87 didn't have the boot anymor but my 95 did...teh bad thing about it is if theres a leak above it the boot fills up with oil and I thought it was it leaking b/c of the volume of oil that was in the boot but it wasnt