Please Help...(Now with pics)

exploited789

hey everyone

i have a 1988 pathy v6 shes got 149,000 miles on her i just put a brand news transmission and clutch in along with wires rotor cap and plugs and adjusted the timing yet in order to shift gears i need to pretty much red line her from idle to 1st if i dont rev her to 4,000rpm's and let out the clutch slow its bogs down and dies also if i some how going downhill with the wind to my back get her in 4th the rpm's drop no matter what and the truck lunges forwards little on and off until i down shift the 3rd i just wanted to ask what you thought before i did a compression check and everything i checked the codes and nothing came up did a real time diagnostic with the ecu and tried to pull codes yet nothing came up again she does this one flat ground and with even the slightest incline theres no smoke no water or coolant in the oil she doesnt over heat the plugs are gapped correctly the erg valve when i have it idle and push the diaphragm the hanes manual says it should bog down or die yet it stays the same also i have trouble starting her cometime hot or cold she starts up and idles for a second then dies unless i give her gas even when i up the idle switch she does the same, and when idling if i give her to much gas she bogs out and dies the fuel filter is also new and in the right direction

please any help or ideas would be very much appreciated

thank you

Edited by exploited789

hey everyone

i have a 1988 pathy v6 shes got 149,000 miles on her i just put a brand news transmission and clutch in along with wires rotor cap and plugs and adjusted the timing yet in order to shift gears i need to pretty much red line her from idle to 1st if i dont rev her to 4,000rpm's and let out the clutch slow its bogs down and dies also if i some how going downhill with the wind to my back get her in 4th the rpm's drop no matter what and the truck lunges forwards little on and off until i down shift the 3rd i just wanted to ask what you thought before i did a compression check and everything i checked the codes and nothing came up did a real time diagnostic with the ecu and tried to pull codes yet nothing came up again she does this one flat ground and with even the slightest incline theres no smoke no water or coolant in the oil she doesnt over heat the plugs are gapped correctly the erg valve when i have it idle and push the diaphragm the hanes manual says it should bog down or die yet it stays the same also i have trouble starting her cometime hot or cold she starts up and idles for a second then dies unless i give her gas even when i up the idle switch she does the same, and when idling if i give her to much gas she bogs out and dies the fuel filter is also new and in the right direction

please any help or ideas would be very much appreciated

thank you

When did you last do the timing belt? This sounds like the timing belt jumped time.

the erg valve when i have it idle and push the diaphragm the hanes manual says it should bog down or die yet it stays the same

Did the valve move at all? It should bog dowm when opening. If it doesnt move at all, the EGR valve may be stuck open. It could cause several of your issues.

actually i dont think the timing belt has ever been done, hopefully that is the problem looks like i have a tear down to do and check this out

yes the vavle moves but its very stiff.

the timing is correct though i just did it about a week ago, ill recheck it with the gun and make sure, yeah sorry about the grammar i just didnt bother haha.

i also checked the fuel injectors they seem to be spraying fine

thank you for your replies

Edited by exploited789

Well, im taking her in for a road test at a good local shop that i know wont b.s me. They said from what i told them it sounds like a mix of the egr and timing belt. Ill let you guys know what they say

thanks again for your time and help

hopefully thats just the problem. i checked the plugs theres some carbon build up but not much i sprayed some ether to try and kick start her to get going that wouldnt even work, so tomorrow im gonna try some more and hopefully get her running and in the shop. Ill let you guys nkow the problem and solution hopefully the belt dint jump to many teeth

actually i dont think the timing belt has ever been done, hopefully that is the problem looks like i have a tear down to do and check this out

hopefully that isn't the problem......

figured out why she wouldnt start i put her at TDC and the rotor was pointing at cylinder 4

shops want around $500 for a t belt job think im just gonna get the 20 part and do it myself

once again thank you for your time and replies

Problem solved =D. it was the timing belt it jumped about a tooth and a half so i took my time and did it wasnt as bad as i thought had a few beers made sure everything was correct before bolting her up

now she purrs and i looooove it

thanks again for all your help =]

and i have a few pics to show yoooooou

looks like when the belt jumped the woodruff key got ripped out of the crank and casued some nasty damage thank god i didnt take her to a shop i have no clue what they would have raped me to fix that but i just tig welded the hole then tig welded the woodruff key in place and filed it smooth so the washer would fit back on heres the pics

take a look at the back woodruff key hole and youll see the nice chunk

0330081401-00.jpg

also these are the mods i did to the thorley headers to make them fit with the 3inch body lift

0308081603-00.jpg

0308081603-01.jpg

annnd heres my baby

0310081658-00.jpg

Edited by exploited789