Blowing fuel pump fuses

kburgess

:crossedwires: Help! I went out this morning and started the Pathy up. She ran for about 5 seconds and flat out died. I poked around a bit and found that the fuel pump fuse was blown. I put another fuse in, it fired right up, then died again. Sure enough, another blown fuse. I guess it's possible that the fuel pump is bad, but it was just replaced in January. I had my son turn the key on while I held my finger on the pump relay and could feel it click inside, so it doesn't seem like that's the problem. Any ideas?

:crossedwires: Help! I went out this morning and started the Pathy up. She ran for about 5 seconds and flat out died. I poked around a bit and found that the fuel pump fuse was blown. I put another fuse in, it fired right up, then died again. Sure enough, another blown fuse. I guess it's possible that the fuel pump is bad, but it was just replaced in January. I had my son turn the key on while I held my finger on the pump relay and could feel it click inside, so it doesn't seem like that's the problem. Any ideas?

I'm pretty green when it come to these things with 4 wheels...I know more about bikes... but the first thing that came to mind was a short some where... thats where I would start...but there are a lot of guys in here that know these truck inside and out... unlike me... I doubt I was of much help...

Good Luck brother

I'd check the wiring on top of the tank for problems first.

Me too, then trace the loom back to see if there are any points where the wires are chafed and touching the frame. I had a spot wear through by the driver's rear frame where the wires snaked by there.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went out and bought a new batch of fuses and put one in. Things suddenly work just fine, no more blown fuses. I'd like to think that I have a self-healing vehicle, but I'm not that naiive. We had trouble with my wife's vehicle this weekend too, and I spent my time getting that back on the road, so didn't have time to look closely at my wiring. If I can get through to next weekend, I'll spend some time figuring it out. I'm happy for now though!