'96 Pathy Surges

snosnk

:blink:

It rears it ugly head between 3 and 4k on the tach while accellerating and shifting.

Almost feels like the A/Ccompressor is kicking on and off. Its not noticeable in 1st, but 2nd, 3rd and 4th its very noticeable

I just did a tune up cap, rotor, plugs, pcv valve and freshend the ol' K&N. That seemed to help performance and mileage but not the surging. I also sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake. :oops: There was some pretty nasty stuff in there.

Info

96 Pathy

V6

Manual 5 speed

4 wheel drive

110,000 Miles

Any body got ideas??

Thanks

the butterfly valve on my 97s throttle body gets sticky, especially after oiling the KN filter. But that sticking feeling isn't really a surging feeling...? But since you mentioned nasty crap in the T-body, maybe it could use more cleaning.

mike

• 2 years later...

I know this is bringing this back from the dead, but I'm experiencing this same thing on my '96 Pathy. But, I've got an auto tranny. Has anyone come up with a fix for this? Or does anyone know how to test the throttle position sensor?

fuel filter, burning coolant, leaking injector, coolant temp sensor can affect that, etc. Is it bucking at all? If you can get a voltmeter on the tps wires you can measure voltage across the range. It's a lot easier to test with a nice obd2 scanner though... Usually just a range from 0-5 volts. You can check and see if it is consistant across the range of the pedal.

No bucking.

It just surges anywhere from 3-400 rpms while cruising in 4th gear on the highway. It almost feels like a downshift when it occurs, but it isn't. I haven't really noticed it in the other 3 gears.

I did a little searching through the archives (that's where I found this post) and I came across a possible coolant leak at the throttle body. Is this a common problem? I have been smelling that sweet odor of coolant every once in a while.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

WOW i know this is a really REALLY old thread but my path has done that since I got it...never really occured to me that there was anything wrong with it...

do pathfinders have a powerband.....i just thought it was some thing like that. no?