Fuel Tank Leaking?

JohnBoy

I must admit am really on my last straw with this Pathfinder. So the story is and yes am guilty of leaving the gas level a little below empty and letting the truck sit for a couple days. So today I start her up and drive to the gas station well at about 5 gallons of gas into the the tank at the bottom of the gas tank it starts gushing out gas. :angry:

So as it's freezing out I stick my hand between the skid plate and tank I can feel what seems like a quarter size hole. I just don't get it a week ago I put about 10 gallons into it and it was fine all week and then after the truck sits for a couple of days it develops a quarter size hole in it???? Heck it's only a 95 with 116,000 miles on it, you mean to tell me the gas tank rusted out, that's pathetic.

I had to leave the truck at the gas station for there mechanic to look at it which am not very comfortable with as I don't really know the guy.

So any insight, thought or opinions is as always appreciated.

UPDATE

Just got a call from the mechanic and he tells me he's 100% positive that someone drilled 2 holes into the tank.

Now I don't mind people not liking me but be a man and step to me, don't be a wimp and drill holes into my tank.

Someone stole your gas... That's a shxtty way to find out. I'm sorry, man.

???? Is that how they steal gas???? If that was the case they didn't get much as like I said it was below empty.

So now I don't know if someone hates me or someone just wanted my gas????

The mechanic is calling around junk yards looking for a tank or his radiator guy can weld it.

That's just... wtf? Two holes makes some sense I guess (lets it flow betteR) but... dayum.

Is this a common thing? I live in harrisburg PA and have never heard of it 0o' Would a steel-plate skidplate (or maybe even a titanium one?) stop this kind of crap?

That's just... wtf? Two holes makes some sense I guess (lets it flow betteR) but... dayum.

Is this a common thing? I live in harrisburg PA and have never heard of it 0o' Would a steel-plate skidplate (or maybe even a titanium one?) stop this kind of crap?

There already is a skidplate around the gas tank dude. I think all pathys have it. But its not THAT thick.

Edited by redfinder

My pathy doesn't have one :( Probably used to, but I think the road salt ate it away (my grandfather, who owned it 10 years before I got it, was never that great at washing the underside of it off during the winter)

And yes, I'm certain it's gone (or nearly gone) as there is some serious rancid corrosion on/around the tank - it's one of the things I'm looking at replacing asap. That and the heatshields along my exhaust, as those are all but rusted away too XD

Edited by Kittamaru

UPDATE

Well my tank did have a skid plate but there are holes in the skid plate which is exactly where they drilled.

The mechanic welded the 2 holes ....$200 ouch!

I think I will find a way to cover up those holes on the skid plate.

i dont know about yall but when they were stealing my gas they just stuck a hose in my tank and sucked it out(on my Isuzu rodeo). But my pathy u have to push a lever inside the truck by the driver door to open the gas flap(took me a while to figure that out the first fill up :P), btw is this option on all models?

And like the Z31 that shares the same mechanism, the WD21's fuel door is easily levered open (without damage) if you know what you're doing and have the proper tool.

And no, I'm NOT going to say what to use or how to use it.

Actually, Ghostpath, if you would share the info with us, it may be possible to modify the mechanism to make this more difficult, if not impossible. Wouldn't a simple key-lock gascap solve this though?

Like a thief would care anyway.

True, but a noob/teen vandal might. "I want to sabotage my neighbor's Pathy, how do I get into the gas tank? I think I'll Google for it."

So, no, I won't be sharing. But if you have a WD21, look carefully at the latch mechanism and you should be able to figure it out.

Actually, Ghostpath, if you would share the info with us, it may be possible to modify the mechanism to make this more difficult, if not impossible. Wouldn't a simple key-lock gascap solve this though?

Key-lock gas caps deter people without tools. A screwdriver or prybar can defeat most of them.

And short of fitting a lock and/or locking lugs to the flap, you won't be able to make it more secure. Well, unless you mod the truck to take one of those round billet racing-type gas doors.

Wouldn't using an inverse latch work?

Eg... instead of a simple pressure held latch, have it so the bar actually sticks thru a hole into the bar coming from the gas cap door, so that the ONLY way to open it is to actually actuate the mechanism to pull the bar out of the hole and allow the door to swing?