Local 4x4 shop is confusing me...

foxtrot044

This is my first post on here so i hope all goes well. I have a 1995 Pathfinder xe all stock. I went to my local 4x4 shop "Diversified Creations" to see how much it would be to put a body lift on the truck. The girl that was working told me that my pathfinder was unibody, and she could not find any lifts/parts for it in here system. Is my parthy a unibody because I can find lifts online. She said she could do somthing with adding larger springs and what not but she would be nervous to be offroading in a pathfinder because no-one has made a lift for it.

Of course I dissagreed with her throughout, but is she just a dumb mechanic or is she right? I offroad all the time and with an organization like this, I think I have reason to believe that offroading in a pathy is awsome. Also where can I get a Body Lift. Any advice on cheap ways to get my pathy started would be great. I want a tight rig that can do anything, but I have a tight budget. Let the ideas flow.

Thanks guys.

-Luke-

Of course I dissagreed with her throughout, but is she just a dumb mechanic or is she right?

Thanks guys.

-Luke-

she is NO MECHANIC....... that's a fact. as 88 said, she must have been looking at the wrong year... and if they are that intelligent at that shop, i suggest you buy the lift online and either grab a couple friends and do it yourself or have a respectable shop that KNOWS wtf they are doing install it

there are body & suspension lifts for your truck, AND uh, WHO is she to say it is "unsafe" to off road a pathy? and what was she smoking when she said SPRINGS? find me leaf springs under a 95 pathy (that is STOCK) and I'll pay you $500...... she can't be complaining about coils. cuz whatchu think a sheep has?

and :wtf: quote:.... but she would be nervous to be offroading in a pathfinder because no-one has made a lift for it.

she needs to be SLAPPED, shown NPORA, then sent to the back room to do inventory duty and OFF the front counter......... she will lose them a LOT of $$ with that attitude.

i have the JGC coil lift on mini me and TM SL & BL on king.

Edited by Slick

I would say she was looking at 96+ pathys... and if you ever do see her again, let her know that there are in fact lift kits for the unibody pathfinder, and they can infact be wheeled.

As mentioned above, you have an entirely different beast, so she was really out to lunch.

haha. Great! Thanks alot guys. love the support from the community. Yeah, i dont think i will be going back in there. I was standing there dropjawed when she started talking. Very funny now that I think about it. Very cool. Will get back when i start the lifting process. Is it hard to put like the 2" BL on with very limited tools and know how

Edited by foxtrot044

haha. Great! Thanks alot guys. love the support from the community. Yeah, i dont think i will be going back in there. I was standing there dropjawed when she started talking. Very funny now that I think about it. Very cool. Will get back when i start the lifting process. Is it hard to put like the 2" BL on with very limited tools and know how

not if you have friends who can be persuaded with beer and pizza..... and you have a weekend to do it. there are write ups/how to's in the garage on how to put a 2" BL on....... can be done in an afternoon, even with limited skill. :aok:

Great way to put it. "Beer and Pizza" Taking the replies from the other members into account, Im looking at maybe the 2" body lift off 4x4parts.com and the 3" Calmini lift kit. Do have any idea as to how much clearence that would give me for tires? (largest possible tire)

Great way to put it. "Beer and Pizza" Taking the replies from the other members into account, Im looking at maybe the 2" body lift off 4x4parts.com and the 3" Calmini lift kit. Do have any idea as to how much clearence that would give me for tires? (largest possible tire)

32's comfortably........ king has 4" SL and 3" BL and i rub my 33's (33x12.5x15) sometimes (turning on a slope)

just be careful what BS you go with if you change rims, and don't go too wide on the tires......

Thanks for all the help and info bro. It all helps so much, just one more thing. Whats the best place to buy tires/wheels? and would it be a better deal to try and find some used ones to save money?

umm.. for starters, i am a CHICK (see my avtar pic?) :tonguefinger: however, i will forgive you.. just this ONCE lol

i got kings tires for $800 off ebay...... east coast tires....... FAST shipping, real nice folks to deal with. i actually ordered my tires over the phone and not on feebay...... paid with my CC and they were shipped next day.

tirerack.com is also another good place :aok:

also, i prefer to buy new tires...... i know where they've been....... NOWHERE lol. i've bought 1 set of used tires, and 2 needed repairs.......

also! if you're undecided on what tires you want, check out the "product reviews" section for tire reviews, there's lots :aok:

Edited by Slick

Thanks sis. lol. but yeah that all makes sense. Im gonna check it out now.

:laugh: yeah...... read my profile. check out my photobucket. avtar pic. it's relatively self explanatory lmao! i just like razzing peeps over it lol.

if oyu have anything else ya wanna know, just shout! :beer:

"Great way to put it. "Beer and Pizza" Taking the replies from the other members into account, Im looking at maybe the 2" body lift off 4x4parts.com and the 3" Calmini lift kit. Do have any idea as to how much clearence that would give me for tires? (largest possible tire) "

I have 3 " suspension lift only, w/ 32x11.5 tires ,and had to do some minor fender trimming w/a grinder. Like Slick said, backspacing and width of tires will also effect fender clearance. Some members here 3" in SL lift w/ 3" body lift and have fit 33s w/trimming - glenn

I want to fit 54's on my pathy [/sarcasm]

No, honestly mate, good luck with it :D I learned sommat from this thread - never knew ANY pathfinders were unibody... *barf* hate that idea even... I like knowing I have a nice, heavy, SOLID frame holding my truck together.

I would say she was looking at 96+ pathys... and if you ever do see her again, let her know that there are in fact lift kits for the unibody pathfinder, and they can infact be wheeled.

As mentioned above, you have an entirely different beast, so she was really out to lunch.

HAHA

I hadnt been in a Walmart in over a year. I actually decided to compare prices and went in to their lube and tire area lat thrusday. The girl at Wally World told me that a 31 10.50 15 was a low profile tire! I turned around and walked out. Guess I wont be going back for another year, or more.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually went back to the shop to ask about their exhausts they had there. Unfortunately the same dumb gal was there. When i asked her about the mufflers she says, "For your Jimmy out there?" I calmly corrected her by saying Pathfinder. She went on her fancy computer and started telling me about my exhaust system. All of what she said was wrong and I know because i went to the exhaust shop and looked at my system from the body. She told me all about my 1 3/4" Inlet and c/c. I just walked away, she says while I leave, "what's wrong? would you like me to order the muffler for you?"

haha....wish I had a good reliable 4x4 shop near me. Sure would save me alot of time and trouble for parts.

I like 4wheelparts; they're generally knowledgeable.THey definitely want to sell you stuff but seem to have a healthy respect for corporate liability[afraid of being sued]; they're not that creative and will stick to their catalogue line but you get the straight story

4x4parts.com has your body lift, 2" or 3". The girl at the counter either got the wrong year or had NO clue what she was talking about. All Pathfinders from 87-95 are built on a ladder frame. 96-ups ARE unibody, however.

96-2004 are unibody. Nissan returned to body-on-frame for 2005 but soon going back to uni-body. *Sigh*