My winch mounting project

kiwipete

All bolts are 8.8 rated and range from 10mm to 18mm in size.

The 2x18mm ones are the rear ones, the rest of the mounting bolts are 12mm. Three on each side mount onto the chasis rail, (I used the factory mounting holes already there), and there are 4 to hold the tray in place on the side brackets.

The winch itself is bolted on with 4x10mm bolts to the tray. This is what comes with it, it is not possible to use bigger ones here as the nuts recess into the winch feet.

Cheers guys for the praise. :aok:

Just got to sort out the electrics now.

The 3 short, (yellow, red and blue), leads to the winch from the solenoid need extending, but that will not be a problem as I work in the electrical industry (Linesmechanic) and have access to the cabe, crimp sleeves, lugs and heatshring. B)

Want it operating by next weekend if possible for an advanced training day with one of my clubs. Would be nice to try it out with the New "Lan-Cor" http://lan-cor.com/about-land-anchors.php ground anchor that im buying for it.

Lookin' good! I see the front ends on the Terranos are a little different from US models, the fenders wrap under at the bottom it looks like. The piece along the bottom under the bumper is different too, I think.

Good times! Go pull yourself out with it!!

Cheers 88..........

Im going to make some basic tube hoops from 50mm ID pipe to go from both sides , up to the bonnet catch area. A 30mm ID one across this hoop to stop one from walking into the aairlead and possibly a couple of side bars too, but im not sure about these.

I just want something to hang the recovery strap off basically and to make it look finished. Will use some 50x50mm angle iron bolted to the sides to weld the hoop to.

5841791069a6990003016l.jpg

Edited by kiwipete

Cheers 88..........

Im going to make some basic tube hoops from 50mm ID pipe to go from both sides , up to the bonnet catch area. A 30mm ID one across this hoop to stop one from walking into the aairlead and possibly a couple of side bars too, but im not sure about these.

I just want something to hang the recovery strap off basically and to make it look finished. Will use some 50x50mm angle iron bolted to the sides to weld the hoop to.

5841791069a6990003016l.jpg

do you have any templates or measurements for the brackets???? i would like to do something like this... thanks...

Cheers kiwipete

Lovely project. A bit too technical for my league.

By the way, What's the engine on your terrano?

I have a 1992 terrano I with a 2.7 td from a terrano II with 100.000 miles on it (engine).

Do you have any suspension modifications?

do you have any templates or measurements for the brackets???? i would like to do something like this... thanks...

I will measure it up in the comming week, when time permits for you.

It really was a case of just cutting and welding as I went on.

Great job Pete!

Did your front end sag at all from the extra weight?

Yes there is about 1" of sag in the front. I will tweak the torsion bars sometime to get it back, then it a case of doing another wheel alignment.

I think thre is about 70kg of weight all up in it.

Cheers kiwipete

Lovely project. A bit too technical for my league.

By the way, What's the engine on your terrano?

I have a 1992 terrano I with a 2.7 td from a terrano II with 100.000 miles on it (engine).

Do you have any suspension modifications?

It really is not that difficult to do, after all I just used a $15.00 grinder, cheapo electric drill and an aincent arc welder, 15+ years old. It was all done on my cobblestone drive, no drill presses etc here.

Yes mine is the TD2.7 95' wide body model.

I just installed an after market auto trans cooler too, mounted it in the front of the air con radiator as behind the radiator it only achieves 60% cooling.

The only suspension mods were tweaking the torsion bars, longer travel shocks in the rear, new shocks in front and heavier springs in rear giving it a 2" suspension lift.

There is a 2" body lift there as well.

Next project, in a year....................... is 33" tyres and rims. I will have to do some simple guard mods for this though.

• 2 weeks later...
is that one of those lancor land anchors?

Yes it is indeed, and it is worth its weight in gold IMHO.

We used it on the hard clay/stoney ground, soft (damp) soil at the mud section, beach shingle and sand.

It held up to everything we threw at it.

I'm guessing that you stopped on that slope so you could try the winch out and not that you were stuck :D

:aok:

Um, I wasnt stuck, but there was no way I could drive it either. It is steeper than it looks actualy, 40+deg.

That video was from part of an advanced training day I attended.