New cats

chappy

I was gonna go the the patch kit route on my 02, but figured might as well go permanent instead. Most universal high flow cats are similar in price, but I only found one that was vehicle specific to the 2000-04 r50. I have read that universals can throw our o2's off and cause codes but, our 02's are in front of the cats no? Do any of you late model r50 guys run after market cats, if so what are some good ones?

Yeah I wondered about that also. I looked in the fsm and it only shows what looks like two traditional looking cats before the pipes join to the resonator. Anyhow the leak is coming from the right traditional looking cat. The site that has the cat I need calls it a catalytic converter, but they also have a converter that looks like one thats cut in half (pre cat?) that are in front of the regular cats. I'm not throwing codes for those though. I just need the the other ones after the sensors before the resonator. Universal swap?

Edited by chappy

Just an update my buddy works at a parts distributer and I had him give an estimate on a direct fit cat. He told me that a right hand side cat would be 110 bucks at cost. Not bad at all. I'm gonna call some locals to see if some give me a hand gettin those heat welded flange bolts apart. I don't have torch so I will likely need help. I could do the entire system from

manifolds to the muffler cheaper than the dealer could do one cat. Could probably change all the o2's also. All i need is the cats figure might as well do both cause the driver's side doesn't look to far off.

• 1 year later...

Didn't want to create a new thread so i'll ask my cat question here,

My truck failed the Ontario emissions test, it was 20 points over the limit of HC pmm. I was told it's most likely the cats. So my question,

Is it ok to replace just one cat as opposed to both? am i going to cause problems if one side is new and the other is original? Trying to save a buck here. i'll do both sides if need be but would ultimately like to save some $..

thoughts?

Didn't want to create a new thread so i'll ask my cat question here,

My truck failed the Ontario emissions test, it was 20 points over the limit of HC pmm. I was told it's most likely the cats. So my question,

Is it ok to replace just one cat as opposed to both? am i going to cause problems if one side is new and the other is original? Trying to save a buck here. i'll do both sides if need be but would ultimately like to save some $..

thoughts?

On this vehicle experience has taught me that if one goes, the other is not very far behind......