#6 piston problem

Indigent

Hi, not to add anymore insult to injury but if I was in your position I would probably go ahead and pull the motor to inspect and/or replace faulty parts. Reason being: (1)Peace of mind (2) Think of the person you will be handing this off to someday and the repercussions involed "when" and "if" the motor pops on them (3) When you replace the head gasket you're going to increase the compression ratio once again back to almost what it was before the motor hydrolocked (or what have you), if the rod is bent it is lacking the intergrity it once had and won't be able to tolerate the normal operating stresses that are expected of that part. Feel free anyone to correct me if I'm wrong.

yozsi, I believe the older pathy's used steel pistons and heads, though I could easily be wrong. I forget when aluminum became the easier to use metal and the more readily available one *shrugs* I know engines used to be primarily steel though :)

Iron block, aluminum heads and pistons. There's no such thing as a steel piston AFAIK.

Iron block, aluminum heads and pistons. There's no such thing as a steel piston AFAIK.

There is, but not on Pathfinders or any other Nissan produced after the 510 was introduced, unless maybe some of the diesels did.

Kitta: Aluminum pistons have been standard fare on all but the cheapest, most stupidly designed gasoline engines since just after WW2. Steel/iron pistons in a gas engine??? That idea got tossed out before WW2.

Hey, that thing was a great car. Held up wonderful! Only ever got stuck in the snow ONCE, and that was pushing an F-150 out of a ditch that he then promptly drove into himself XD

Just don't rear-end it :P

Aighty, wasn't sure. My father had an old Pinto with steel pistons :D It was the exploading variant too XD

None of the Pinto's engines (Kent, EAO/OHC, Cologne) had steel pistons. They were all iron block; some had iron heads, ALL had aluminum pistons.

The only engines produced since about 1969 with steel pistons are *diesels*. The reason you don't see them in gas engines is that the higher redlines combined with the much greater inertia of a steel or iron piston would result in wrist-pin, wrist bearing, connecting rod, or connecting rod bearing failures in short order.

Edited by GhostPath

The pistons in his pinto were steel - I know this for fact because they wound up having to be replaced once, and we replaced them with aluminum ones.

It WAS second hand... so that could be why?

The pistons in his pinto were steel - I know this for fact because they wound up having to be replaced once, and we replaced them with aluminum ones.

It WAS second hand... so that could be why?

How did you determine that they were steel?