OBD2 code readers

HitTheTrails

Hey guys, I've decided to buy a code reader and am trying to figure out what to buy. I've been reading that Actron and Equus are good brands for handhelds, and are decently priced. The Actron CP9125 is $43 at amazon and will simply read/reset the codes. If I want to have live monitoring/recording I have to step up to something like Equus 3130 ($167) or get something like the Elmscan 5 USB interface and run software like ProScan on my laptop ($140 for the Elmscan and ProScan package). I'm not sure if I want to have to use the laptop everytime I scan for code or just use the handheld. If I do just get a handheld should I bother getting the extra features (like Equus 3130) or just get a simple tool to read/reset codes (Actron CP9125). Anyone have any opinions/experience?

Edited by HitTheTrails

If you want live OBDII sensor reporting and code reading/resetting without having to use a laptop, you should consider the Scan-Gauge.

I have one in my Pathy, and another in my Mazda.

MS6_SGII_2.jpg

Here are some more links to opinions:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=16796

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...p;hl=scan-gauge

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...p;hl=scan-gauge

Edited by XPLORx4

thanks for the info. i like the scangauge, its pretty cool. i wonder if there are any current group buys going on right now, especially from canadian vendors...

Id be interested in a group buy.

Thanks Ghostpath... I was actually refer to thye previous posters comment on a Canadian group buy, sorry I should havebeen more clear.

Perhaps I will join one of those GBs if shipping and duty doesn't double the price :rant2:

Thanks guys. I borrowed a buddies scan tool for now, it's a Geniscan GS300 CAN OBD2 reader. I think I will buy a scan-gauge sometime in the near future, they seem pretty cool.

On a side note: I got P0325 and P0446 as fault codes, with both of them also listed as pending. I read the knock sensor code is no big deal, my engine isn't knocking or pinging, but the other code, P0446 (EVAP Emmision Control System Vent Circuit Malfunction) is bothering me. I read the how-to that QuismO wrote and yesterday I checked out the purge volume control valve, there was no charcoal in it or the hoses to/from it and I spilt it apart and made sure the motor is working and the grey plastic valve is operating (goes in/out with ignition on/off). I also checked the purge control valve and it's hose, all clean there too. So next thing I'm gonna check is the vent control valve and the EVAP cannister behind the driver's side rear wheel.

Is this the only other thing to check?

How is the vent control valve suppose to operate? Can I check it with iginition on/off just like I did for the purge volume control valve?

Any other ideas?

ps. I cleared the codes and drove and the same ones are coming back on again... My check engine light is back on right now.

Edited by HitTheTrails