LSD Diff. wanted.

Wheels

So I've got a 97 Pathfinder LE, with the blacked out trim, and no LSD in the rear. From my reading it should have one, but it does not. Anyway, I plan on visiting the local srapyard to see if they have one, or if they can locate one on the "Parts Sattelite". What should I expect to pay? I only need the centre cection to the best of my knowledge. If I have to I'll buy it complete, drum to drum.

Or is there another option? I'm sure through the Stealership, it will cost a fortune. Although I may have to go there for rebuilding parts if I get a used one. Which will add to the cost of buying used. Does the aftermarket offer anything?

Also for the front diff. How close is it to the rear? Is it possible to use parts from a rear diff to make the front LSD? It sure would be nice to have a true 4wd.

I'd like to have more then one rear wheel putting power to the ground. I have yet to take it offroading, but I do plan for some. Kind of why I got a 4x4. The Pathfinder is replacing a 79 Power Wagon I have. It's got LSD front and rear, and climbs like a goat when needed. So my expectations for a 4x4 may be a bit more then average. It will also be my family hauler, so lockers would be a bit extreme.

Well, you should know that the factory LSD isn't really all that spectacular. While it does provide some benefit over an open diff for on-road use, don't expect miracles from it off-highway. If you get a wheel in the air, you won't go anywhere. This short video clip shows its limited effectiveness. Here's another example of the LSD in all its glory.

Unfortunately, the aftermarket really has no LSD option for this rear end.

If you decide to get the LSD, you don't need the whole axle. All you need is the third member:

arb_12lsddiffside.jpg

Since the third member will probably include gears, be sure to get a set that matches your existing gears. The door sticker will say either HG43 or HG46. HG43 means 4.363:1 gears, HG46 means 4.636:1 gears.

I don't know what a wrecking yard will charge nowadays for a new third member, but several years ago I picked up a set of front and rear diffs for $250 each. FYI, the rear diff from an Xterra (pre-2005 models) will also fit.

If you want better assurance of putting power to more than 1 wheel per axle, especially while off-road, I would recommend you investigate installing an ARB air locker. It behaves just like an open diff, except when you engage it, so the family-hauler function wouldn't be compromised. The ARB locker can be expensive, though... about $900 for parts. I've been running a rear ARB for about 7 years now, and have had no problems with it whatsoever.

Edited by XPLORx4

Those are great examples, especially the second clip. Assuming one of the rear wheels were on the ground when the front wheel started spinning, the LSD left you just as stuck as an open diff! I thought an LSD would transmit at least some of the power to the non-spinning wheel, but I guess it wasn't enough.

I had a friend tell me that with LSDs in general, once a wheel starts spinning, it essentially gives up and doesn't transmit any power to the non-spinning wheel. Is this true, or did I misunderstand him? If this is true, I guess the LSD is only good for keeping you moving with less traction and preventing things from degenerating into wheel-spinning. But once a wheel starts spinning, it does nothing for you. This would be the exact opposite of a locking diff, where you would only lock it when a wheel is spinning. Have I got this right??

So I've got a 97 Pathfinder LE, with the blacked out trim, and no LSD in the rear. From my reading it should have one, but it does not. Anyway, I plan on visiting the local srapyard to see if they have one, or if they can locate one on the "Parts Sattelite". What should I expect to pay? I only need the centre cection to the best of my knowledge. If I have to I'll buy it complete, drum to drum.

Or is there another option? I'm sure through the Stealership, it will cost a fortune. Although I may have to go there for rebuilding parts if I get a used one. Which will add to the cost of buying used. Does the aftermarket offer anything?

Also for the front diff. How close is it to the rear? Is it possible to use parts from a rear diff to make the front LSD? It sure would be nice to have a true 4wd.

I got a 3rd member and front diff out of an Xterra for my R-50. I switched from 4:36 to 4:63 in the process and the new unit is a LSD. After getting stuck a zillion times with out the LSD I experienced a dramatic difference with the LSD. Both rear wheels pushing at the same time and the new gears made the rig a whole new vehicle. I did get stuck 2 times but it was due to the 33x9.5x15 tires which are just too skinny. The current 32x11.5x15 solved that problem. I did note that the new front diff out of the Xterra will change which tire gets the power depending on what is needed at the time. It actually switched from left to right and back as I went thru obstacles. Why, I have no clue. It acted like a LSD unit but maybe I was just too heavily medicated that day but, It has done that several times on my last outings.

With the LSD I could cruise through obstacles that caused all kinds of problems before. Lockers are superior, that is for sure. But ARB wanted around $1,800 for a rear locker for the R-50's, about half what they charge for others. IMHO you will like the LSD unit. It is not designed for rock crawling but, neither is a Pathfinder. If that is what you are looking for then sell the rig, buy a jeep and raise it 5-6 inches with 35" tires.

If you want to go off-roading, be able to go through reasonable obstacles, have fun and get home then I would go the LSD route. I have virtually no trouble keeping up with my friends who all run lifted Jeeps with 33-35" tires, unless they go rock crawling. Then I just watch them break stuff while I go around and have just as much fun but do not have to get towed home.

You should be able to get both the 3rd member and front diff for around $500 - $600. If you are just switching out the rear 3rd member make sure the gearing is correct to match your front diff. Don't get a 46 for the rear if the front is a 43.

I did note that the new front diff out of the Xterra will change which tire gets the power depending on what is needed at the time. It actually switched from left to right and back as I went thru obstacles. Why, I have no clue. It acted like a LSD unit but maybe I was just too heavily medicated that day but, It has done that several times on my last outings.

so you got the front diff out of an X? didnt think that would work as we have a high pinion.

so you got the front diff out of an X? didnt think that would work as we have a high pinion.

I assume he means just the diffferential carrier. The carrier will bolt up to either ring/pinion set. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether use of the word "differential" means just the carrier or the carrier plus the ring and pinion (and the housing).

I must assume that the Xterra front diff which performed so well was a non-factory LSD that was upgraded by Calmini. No Xterras were factory-equipped with front LSDs. Also, if you bought the diffs from an Xterra owner who was into modding his rig, it's possible that both diffs that you got had higher-than-factory-settings for the amount of slip.

I got the front diff (for lack of a better term) from the Xterra. It is basically the front gearing, housing without any axels. I just dropped the stocker and bolted the new one right up to my original axels/CV's. It is short with different lengths on each side.

You have to use the 2002-2004 Xterra as I recall but it is a perfect fit. The 3rd member is also a plug and play application.

Hope that makes sense.

I got the front diff (for lack of a better term) from the Xterra. It is basically the front gearing, housing without any axels. I just dropped the stocker and bolted the new one right up to my original axels/CV's. It is short with different lengths on each side.

You have to use the 2002-2004 Xterra as I recall but it is a perfect fit. The 3rd member is also a plug and play application.

Hope that makes sense.

Wait a sec, do you mean you just bolted in the part shown in the photos below that was allegedly removed from an Xterra?

arb_07frontdiff.jpg

in_position.jpg

I've been studying the parts diagrams at courtesyparts.com and the diffs don't look like they're interchangeable at all. The Xterra and R50 front diffs have different configurations. For example, the X front diff cover has a mounting bracket on it, while the R50 cover does not, and the gearsets appear to be different as well. The 02 X front diff looks like it's a 4.375:1 ratio, and certainly not an LSD. Are you sure it was from an 02-04 Xterra?

Edited by XPLORx4

I highly doubt yours came out of an Xterra. The r50 front diff is a totally different design vs all the other mid sized nissan suvs and trucks. Its not a direct "bolt in"

Well, that is exactly what I did. The pictured part is what I was sent and I bolted it in with no problem. I could only assume the junk yard sent me the right stuff as I changed out the front and rear diff's. Either they called the parts something else and lied to me about where they came from or one of us is really wrong. Either excuse is plausible knowing my luck. I guess all that counted is that it was an LSD unit and it was the higher gears, it fit perfectly and worked out great.

Well, that is exactly what I did. The pictured part is what I was sent and I bolted it in with no problem. I could only assume the junk yard sent me the right stuff as I changed out the front and rear diff's. Either they called the parts something else and lied to me about where they came from or one of us is really wrong. Either excuse is plausible knowing my luck. I guess all that counted is that it was an LSD unit and it was the higher gears, it fit perfectly and worked out great.

I bet the yard you got it from was mistaken, if you didn't have to make any modifications to the chunk they sent you. And BTW, did you mean the front or the rear is LSD?

I bet the yard you got it from was mistaken, if you didn't have to make any modifications to the chunk they sent you. And BTW, did you mean the front or the rear is LSD?

I do not doubt the yard was mistaken or called it something else. The yard also knew what I was doing with the new parts (switching to LSD and changing gears from 4:36 to 4:63) as well what this all had to fit. I got the rear 3rd member (pumpkin) and front diff as pictured in your photo. The pumpkin was clearly a LSD unit with all the little clutches and such. Everything just bolted right up like it was made for the application. I suppose they could have dug up the correct front diff and rear 3rd member and just gone along with what I thought it was supposed to be called.

Not that I know of anyone that has tried to bolt an Xterra front diff into a Pathfinder...but who knows..it might bolt up? Any chance you could get a picture of it?

If the Xterra front diff bolted in, the R50 guys could regear too.

And if your still considering this wheels, add me to the no vote. I did the same swap as RWC552, but i'm not as happy with mine as he is with his. I wish now that i'd saved my money, as Xplorex4 had suggested to me as well, and just put in lockers.

Let me elaborate. Initially, i bought just the LSD component from another forum member with the intention of just swapping that out, not re-gearing. AC sells it if your curious. Then i decided that i wanted to re-gear instead, and figured while i was at it I'd just buy a carrier that has LSD already in it. So, like RWC552, i got a set (front "axle", and rear carrier) from a bone yard and bolted them in with tons of helpful advice from RWC552 and Xplorex4. I did the job by myself in my driveway, and it was a first for me, so it's not rocket science, but do get some help it'll be easier. Anyway, all was well, and the LSD really seemed to lock up nice and tight, i thought a huge improvement, similar to what RWC552 feels he's gotten. But then, i quickly noticed a whine from the rear end on acceleration. Well again, Xplorex4 advised not to worry, his had been doing similar for some time. But me being anal, i hate little noises because with my luck they typically become big headaches, and decided to have the rear end rebuilt against Deans earlier advice.

Now pay attention, if your still with me it's gonna get a little more confusing ;) So i get the quote for the rebuild, and me being the genius i am decide to replace the LSD unit that was in the junk yard carrier with the brand new one i had purchased earlier (see above) figuring new was better. So, $250 over budget and 3 days late, i get my truck back, and what do i get for all my trouble? LOL, the rear end still whines (although not quite as bad), and my LSD sucks. My theory, if anyone cares, is that as i've read elsewhere here, there was a time when the Nissan LSD's where built to break loose around 300ft pnds and the newer ones somewhere around 100ft pnds or something like that. I think the LSD that was originally was in the Junk yard carrier, and maybe even RCW552's were the older, heavier ones. The new one i installed into the carrier is obviously a new style and sucks.

So, what did i learn? Well, listen to Dean (xplorx4) first, and save and get the best so you don't have to f around when stuff dosn't go the way you hoped it would...

Hoped this dribble helped in some way, took me a half hour to type it lol. Good Luck. :aok:

Edited by PDCCD

Not that I know of anyone that has tried to bolt an Xterra front diff into a Pathfinder...but who knows..it might bolt up? Any chance you could get a picture of it?

If the Xterra front diff bolted in, the R50 guys could regear too.

I will try for a photo. My old camera just died so I have to install new software to edit pic's so I shall try and get that handled today.

Hahaha, and it only took me a minute to read it!

Sorry to hear of your troubles, dude.

LOL, your the last one to pity me, if i'd listened to you either time on the above, i would have been much better off. Now, i'm friggin hoping for the lockers someday. After i find my ARB bumper... Thanks for the levity :itsallgood:

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a zomby thread, but...

What did you decide? I was under my truck yesterday and realised that I actually do have a LSD on the rear...I'd never actually bothered to check. To be honest after getting stuck a few times I'd assumed I didn't as it didn't seem a whole lot better than any regular open-diff I'd driven. For sure it's not a locker...you might be less likely to lose total traction, but once a tire loses traction then you're completely spinning... I posted some pics a while back of getting stuck in the snow, and even though my back right was firmly planted on the ground it took 3 hours of digging because i was doing the diagonal opposite tires spinning.

Not worth the money IMO. If you're doing the type of offroading where you require that much more traction then either invest in a locker or a more agressive truck.

IIRC the WD21 31-spline H233B LSD had a breakaway torque of around 265 ft-lbs. The R50 33-spline H233B LSD has about 120 ft-lbs. My numbers may be a bit off, but that's about what it was...Simon knows the numbers, I've seen him post them somewhere around here.

• 9 months later...
IIRC the WD21 31-spline H233B LSD had a breakaway torque of around 265 ft-lbs. The R50 33-spline H233B LSD has about 120 ft-lbs. My numbers may be a bit off, but that's about what it was...Simon knows the numbers, I've seen him post them somewhere around here.

So does anyone know what the breakaway torque for the after market LSD's for the 2000 LE pathfinder are like the ones on 4x4parts.com. I guess I should jsut call them. Any experience with the aftermarket units?