Calmini Steering Kit

kiwipete

Has anyone fitted one of these kits to their truck, I would like to hear just how good they are?

http://www.purenissan.com/wd21_steering.htm

nisssteering.jpg

We here in New Zealand cannot use the Hooha ones or similar ones as these centre links have been alterd/welded. That is not certifiable here.

But to me there seems to be no reason to me why the Calmini one wont do the trick.

The only drawback is it is not made for our right hand drive vehicles, but I think this is just a matter of making another idler arm bracket to suit our RHD, ie. a mirror immage of it.

What do you guys think?

I bought my kit secondhand. My idler arm was a little sticky because brackets were making contact with the bushings when i tightened down the kingpin, but I added a couple of really thin washers on top and underneath the brass bushings between the brackets and it moves very smoothly now. You will want to drill and tap for a zerk fitting on the side of the idler arm so you can easily grease it. I can post a picture of mine to show you what I mean.

I never had steering problems to begin with, but i figured I would after I move up to a 33" tire.

i installed mine but i haven't tested it in the mud or anything yet. normal everyday driving is a little stiff at first but i got used to it pretty quick. had to upgrade after installing 33" tires.

Edited by aries247

I bought my kit secondhand. My idler arm was a little sticky because brackets were making contact with the bushings when i tightened down the kingpin, but I added a couple of really thin washers on top and underneath the brass bushings between the brackets and it moves very smoothly now. You will want to drill and tap for a zerk fitting on the side of the idler arm so you can easily grease it. I can post a picture of mine to show you what I mean.

I never had steering problems to begin with, but i figured I would after I move up to a 33" tire.

I would love a pic of it please.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Can anyone confirm if I am right in my origonal post that I just need a mirror immage made of the idler arm brace to convert it to right hand drive? Our idler and pitman is on the opposite side to you guys.

here's a quick one for now.

233571176qc2.jpg

you can just barely see the grease nipple on the idler arm. I don't think you could simply flip the idler arm upside down to work with your RHD model. You can see that the arm isn't centered on the tube that the kingpin goes through. The pitman arm would probably work, but you may have to alter the idler arm bracket to make it work. I will get you a picture of the idler arm mounted on my truck when i get home. I'm on my laptop now.

Kiwipete, i am sure that you can easily get an idler arm bracket fabricated in kiwi if the LHD one cannot be used. I am sure that you can get any local fab shop to make one for you. My brother who races cars in auckland (main land...lol) could easily get one made for you if needed. I plan to put this kit on our pathy here so I could give you some measurements for your use to fab a mirror image bracket if needed. I think for certs that will still work.

Kiwipete, i am sure that you can easily get an idler arm bracket fabricated in kiwi if the LHD one cannot be used. I am sure that you can get any local fab shop to make one for you. My brother who races cars in auckland (main land...lol) could easily get one made for you if needed. I plan to put this kit on our pathy here so I could give you some measurements for your use to fab a mirror image bracket if needed. I think for certs that will still work.

When the funds allow, I will purchase the kit and get someone to make a rverse of the said bracket.

Cheers for the advice.

I take it the idler and pitman arms can be inserted either way up to reverse them, ie. ther is no silly tapers on them etc?

I don't think the pitman arm had a taper to the hole. The output shaft from the steering box was tapered. I would like if someone could confirm that for me.