Bought a 98 Pathfinder as my winter vehicle

ResisterGo

Hello all,

As the title states, I just picked up a 98 SE 5-speed to use as my winter car. It's only got 77k miles on it, and is in reasonably good condition for it's intended purpose. However, there are a few little issues I need to get worked out:

1 - When the truck is cold, and I press the clutch in, it sounds like it's not disengaging all the way. It makes a groaning/grinding noise. When the truck gets up to operating temperature, it goes away. I can't figure what the heck it would be...

2 - There are a few electrical devices that aren't working. The dome light doesn't come on when you open the door (even though the switch is in the right position), the cruise control doesn't work, and the horn doesn't work. I'm hoping that it's something simple like they're all on the same circuit, and there's a blown fuse. I checked the two panels under the hood, and the horn fuse seemed fine. However, I can't find a diagram for the fuse panel under the dash, so it would be a real hassle to check them all. Does anyone know where to find a diagram? You'd THINK it would be on the inside of the door, but mine's not there, and I don't see it in the manual.

Other than that, it seems like a pretty cool truck to tool around in during snow season!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

clutch thing sounds like the throwout bearing is going bad.....they last anywhere from 70,000 to 100,000 miles depending on how it was driven.....sometimes longer of course. not sure about that year if its hydraulic clutch or cable...mine is a 1990 5 speed with hydraulic clutch.

Sometimes if the hydraulics are leaking, or low, or have air in the system.... or just going bad...the clutch wont release properly.

Check for loose fuse regarding that light thing....mine would intermittently go out also, along with the radio and other stuff....and when the door would shut or I hit a bump....things would come on and off....only to discover the fuse for all of those things was loose in the fusebox...so a little piece of foil on each tab of the fuse fixed it by making the connections more snug.

Wish my SE had only 77,000 miles on it..... I'm over 240,000+ and still goingggggggg! :)

Wish my SE had only 77,000 miles on it..... I'm over 240,000+ and still goingggggggg! :)

Well, that's encouraging to hear! Thanks for the help.

I'll definitely check into the fuses, too. I could still use a fuse diagram though, so I don't have to pull out a million fuses to find the right one.

My schematic in the Haynes Manual has cruise, the horn and the interior light all on the same page so it sounds like you're in the right area. Pick up a Haynes manual if you can, if you can't I can try and scan mine in and post it for you but it might take some time.

Do any of the doors turn on the dome light or does it stay off no matter which door is opened?

The clutch problem sounds like a throw out bearing as was mentioned previously.

Oh and 220,000 kms and still running strong for me. Enjoy the new Pathfinder!

Edited by deej

My schematic in the Haynes Manual has cruise, the horn and the interior light all on the same page so it sounds like you're in the right area. Pick up a Haynes manual if you can, if you can't I can try and scan mine in and post it for you but it might take some time.

Do any of the doors turn on the dome light or does it stay off no matter which door is opened?

The clutch problem sounds like a throw out bearing as was mentioned previously.

Oh and 220,000 kms and still running strong for me. Enjoy the new Pathfinder!

Oh, that's great... I hope that I'm on the right track. I think I've had all 4 doors and the hatch open now, and the dome light hasn't come on. It does turn on when I flip the switch to "on" though. I'll have to swing by the NAPA and see if I can pick up a Haynes manual. I stopped at the AutoZone during my lunch hour today to pick up a couple odds and ends, and they didn't have one.

What do you figure a throwout bearing would cost to replace? If the throwout bearing was shot, wouldn't it just not disengage all the time? I just think it's so odd that it would "fix" itself when the truck warms up...

Thanks again for the replies, guys! It's much appreciated!

So, if it is in fact the throwout bearing (and it sounds like there's a good chance it is...), it looks like I can pick a new one up at NAPA for $43... That's not bad. But how much labor should it be? If it's a 2 hour job for a trained mechanic, then I'll go get it done ASAP. But if it's going to take them 10 hours, I might as well get a new clutch/flywheel and have them install them while they're in there, right?

bearings tend to sound different once they are warmed up of course :) everything always sounds worse when its stone cold....(including my wife......)

since you have to drop the tranny to get to the throwout or any of the bearings related to the clutch, most just go ahead and get the whole clutch job done (especially if higher mileage warrants it anyway) therefore you don't have to pay for labor TWICE ...once the rest of the clutch goes out a few thousand miles later..... typical lifespan of a clutch is anywhere from 70,000 to maybe even 150,000 depending on severity of use.

Stock clutch kits arent too expensive....its the labor that blows the checkbook.

bearings tend to sound different once they are warmed up of course :) everything always sounds worse when its stone cold....(including my wife......)

since you have to drop the tranny to get to the throwout or any of the bearings related to the clutch, most just go ahead and get the whole clutch job done (especially if higher mileage warrants it anyway) therefore you don't have to pay for labor TWICE ...once the rest of the clutch goes out a few thousand miles later..... typical lifespan of a clutch is anywhere from 70,000 to maybe even 150,000 depending on severity of use.

Stock clutch kits arent too expensive....its the labor that blows the checkbook.

Well, I suppose I'll just have to get it done... but as long as it's not hurting anything at the moment, I might just wait until Spring. The truck has 77k on it, but I don't know what kind of life it led before I got it. I know a female schoolteacher used it to commute back and forth to work, so... yeah. hahaha

I just found the clutch kit, with the release bearing and everything included, and it's only $150. I wonder what an independent shop would charge to throw it in there for me. Guess I better make a few calls, huh?

Edited by ResisterGo

On reliability, my dad has a 2000 r50 and its got 205,000kms, got it at 120,000 and have only taken it to the dealer once for a leaky fuel filler. Ours is a 5 speed and the clutch drives great.