Best R50?

dodgerex

Still new to all the acroynms, what is LSD? everybody's been saying get one with it. but i dont know what it is. Oh and i talked to the wife, our pathfinder is a SE so its a Blue '03 SE. and go figure i asked for pics but we just had that winter storm come thru, so she didn't take any, since she skipped out on work becuase of the weather. I'll keep bugging her though.

Jack the rear up, spin one rear tire, if the other spins in the same direction you have LSD, if it doesnt then you dont...it might have a tage on it saying use LSD oil only or something like that

The older r50's you'll have to most likely fix it up, unless the previous owner was a good man...or woman. Just look for the common things, test drive it, make sure the transmission is in good condition. Note: r50's can ride on 31" Tires on stock suspension, you will rub in reverse, but it is what it is, id recommend a 2" lift.

The truth is id feel like a jack ass if i took a $13,000 rig off road and banged it up, versus taking a $3,000 rig and just having a good time with it. I have a 97. Good Luck man.

Edited by ozzy

The older r50's you'll have to most likely fix it up, unless the previous owner was a good man...or woman. Just look for the common things, test drive it, make sure the transmission is in good condition. Note: r50's can ride on 31" Tires on stock suspension, you will rub in reverse, but it is what it is, id recommend a 2" lift.

The truth is id feel like a jack ass if i took a $13,000 rig off road and banged it up, versus taking a $3,000 rig and just having a good time with it. I have a 97. Good Luck man.

I have the AC lift on my 2003 SE plus 1" strut spacers. I am running 32x11.5x15. I was running 33x9.5 but sold them since they have pretty poor sand traction.

Ok am I the only one who has 31" tires (BFG AT's) and has absolutely no rubbing. Even in full lock in reverse? everybody always say you will have slight rubbing. Well I have 0. And I am pretty sure the truck does not have a lift on it. It looks stock. Maybe someone with a lift can measure from the ground to the bottom or their fender or something for me. so we can compare. I do not have flares either.

The 3.3 just seems like one of those big old slow V6's like Chevy still does

Some of the really old chevy V6s were slow sure. The vortec V6 is prety nice though. My Jimmy is nice and torquey, even more so than my pathy in lower rpm range. The pathy has a higher HP rating and a slightly higher torque but it certainly comes in at a higher rpm. Don't get me wrong, the pathy is a great truck, but to anyone who still thinks Chevy V6s are anchors, maybe hasn't had a chance to drive a newer vortec V6.

...its also amazing how American cars still have to rely on V8 power to keep up with the V6's from the Japs...

Don't the new pathys have V8s? I am not saying American cars are better or worse, but it sounds like you had some bad experiences er something.

to original poster: I too thought it would be cool to get a 5 speed when I was shopping for a pathy. Coupla things got me into an automatic: Very hard to find a manual SE (I didn't want a Chilkoot personally), I have never seen an LE (which I wanted for the side impact airbags) with a manual trans, and a manual trans de-rates the towing capacity.

Something to consider if you plan to take the family camping with a camper trailer or tow a boat etc.

Some of the really old chevy V6s were slow sure. The vortec V6 is prety nice though. My Jimmy is nice and torquey, even more so than my pathy in lower rpm range. The pathy has a higher HP rating and a slightly higher torque but it certainly comes in at a higher rpm. Don't get me wrong, the pathy is a great truck, but to anyone who still thinks Chevy V6s are anchors, maybe hasn't had a chance to drive a newer vortec V6.

Don't the new pathys have V8s? I am not saying American cars are better or worse, but it sounds like you had some bad experiences er something.

to original poster: I too thought it would be cool to get a 5 speed when I was shopping for a pathy. Coupla things got me into an automatic: Very hard to find a manual SE (I didn't want a Chilkoot personally), I have never seen an LE (which I wanted for the side impact airbags) with a manual trans, and a manual trans de-rates the towing capacity.

Something to consider if you plan to take the family camping with a camper trailer or tow a boat etc.

Yup, the latest Pathy can be had with a V8.

And the R50 LE, at least with the 3.5, was never available with the 5 speed (at least in Canada), so that is why you never saw one.