Engine Life

Eagle

There probably is one somewhere but I wouldnt waste my time trying to find it. Might as well just discuss it now. I dont know what the engine life is on the 3.5 VQ but I hear that the 3.3 VG will last for like 300,000 or more if you change the T-belt and basically take care of it. As with any engine it depends on how you treat it IMHO. My 97 3.3 has 139,000. I changed the t-belt at 118,000 along with the usual water pump t-stat drive belts etc. I realize that my truck is about as fast as a turd in the wind so I dont run her hard unless I have to. That's about all I got

Examples of WD21s (87-95 Pathfinders) with in excess of 400,000 miles have been reported on this board and spotted in other places. The related truck, the D21 Hardbody, is routinely seen in service with well over 500,000 miles on the original VG30 engine. My own Pathfinder is still running the original engine at 232,000 miles and seems quite happy.

If well taken care of, you're going to get bored with it long before it drops dead - which is why people like to modify them. As opposed to Jeeps and some other makes, where they're often so poorly engineered or assembled that you *have* to modify them to fix what the factory broke.

Hey, thanks for the replies.

It'd be nice for more data points.

I have the 1996 3.3 VG with 150,000. I had planned on replacing, but I really like the pathy. The payment is real low (0), along with the insurance.

My concern is the timing belt. I was lied to in 2002 or so about the belt, as I was told it had a chain, and didn't need to be changed when I had the water pump replaced. I now know it has a belt (hard to see behind the cover). I am wondering if they replaced the belt at 102,000. I doubt they did, and I have no note of the parts on my receipt. (!!!)

Can the belt really last 150,000???

Now I am looking at replacing the belt, and will probably just do it myself. It looks time consuming, but not difficult.

Yep, the wd21 motors will last a loooong time. When I went to the dealer ship with my dad so they could fix some things on the r50 when we bought, we were telling the mechanic there that we also have a 94 path and he said, well fix that frame because as long as the timing belt doesn't snap and she doesn't rust apart that it'll go up to 800,000km's easy, as he said he's seen them come in for oil changes, and other routine maintenance.

A lot of d21 pickups around here are used as work trucks, and when i worked at the gas station, the guys who drive them said they've been to hell and back and that the truck will probably out last them :lol: I also see a lot of pathfinders used as work trucks for landscaping companies as well.

on a wd-21, NO, the belts will NOT last 150k........ they should be changed every 65k.......... for the r-50 i believe it's every 105k...

a pathy will last as long as YOU want it to. there are 3 members i know of with over 500k on their original trucks..... if it is well maintained, not tortured and abused, they can last a loooooooong time, which is what makes them such great trucks

on a wd-21, NO, the belts will NOT last 150k........ they should be changed every 65k.......... for the r-50 i believe it's every 105k...

a pathy will last as long as YOU want it to. there are 3 members i know of with over 500k on their original trucks..... if it is well maintained, not tortured and abused, they can last a loooooooong time, which is what makes them such great trucks

93-95 (I think, I know for sure 94-95) have the same change interval as the R50, 105,000 miles, or 165,000kms. They changed the belt and sprocket design on the VG30 to a round tooth design which had a longer life.

93-95 (I think, I know for sure 94-95) have the same change interval as the R50, 105,000 miles, or 165,000kms. They changed the belt and sprocket design on the VG30 to a round tooth design which had a longer life.

ahhhhhh...... good to know :beer: *goes hunting for a 93*......

Eagle, if your belt hasnt been changed in 150k you should really think about changing it ASAP. While the 3.3 will run for a very very long time, if the t-belt goes it pretty much usually destroys the engine. That gets pricy unless you swap out yourself. I am not a mechanic I understand how an engine works and absolutely love cars and trucks but never really did a whole lot of work on them besides maintenance, replacing carbs etc. (easy stuff). So I was nervous when I decided to change the t-belt myself but after getting advice from here and writeups etc it turned out to be a pretty easy job. I do not know your mechanical skill but all it takes it time and the right tools.

Potentially, it can last as long as the replacement parts are available.

I guess I draw a line when I have to replace the camshafts, valves, cylinders/engine block, transmission.

So, I should have said, how long do the engines last while only replacing easy parts (water pump/alt), belts, and plugs, etc.

But this is good to know. I've got quite a bit invested, and it has been well taken care of (besides timing belt - if that is the case).

It is great when you tell them to replace the timing belt (more money) at 105k and they tell you it is a chain. I hope someone there did it. I guess I am going to have to eat the price of another, if they did do it at 105 (currently 150k), and put on another. If not - how is this even running???

Good for procrastinators like me :stickwack:

*puts tbelt on top of to do ASAP list*

Eagle, if your belt hasnt been changed in 150k you should really think about changing it ASAP. While the 3.3 will run for a very very long time, if the t-belt goes it pretty much usually destroys the engine. That gets pricy unless you swap out yourself. I am not a mechanic I understand how an engine works and absolutely love cars and trucks but never really did a whole lot of work on them besides maintenance, replacing carbs etc. (easy stuff). So I was nervous when I decided to change the t-belt myself but after getting advice from here and writeups etc it turned out to be a pretty easy job. I do not know your mechanical skill but all it takes it time and the right tools.

I have dropped an engine and swapped out cylinders on a old VW. I have the ability and instructions (thanks to some info here - 5523Pathfinder kudos! - http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12828&st=0 - ).

This seems pretty easy, but lots of work. I think the biggest challenge is marking it (BEFORE removing the old belt). I also need the puller, but should have the rest of the tools.

I told my wife I was going to do it myself, and she said why don't you take it to the shop, then I told her the price. She's warming up to the idea.

Also, I've sort of lost faith in the dealer (which has good mechanics) when they could not tell me about the sway bar/control arms bushings. Now, along with me finding out (here on this forum) that my belt is NOT chain, I have even less respect. Those guys should have known the 96 did not have the chain. I found my receipt and NO mention of timing belt.

Make sure you get the right puller!! I did not and used a jaw-type and ruined my harmonic balancer. Other than that regular tools like a breaker bar air tools if you have them, a 27mm socket and plenty of beer and your good to go.

Timing belt was changed at 91,000. I am at 150,500 now.

Is this a 90-100,000 mile belt, or a 60,000 belt on a 1996 pathy?

EDIT:

I think I found my answer, and it ends the confusion I have read. The 3.0L 1996 is at a 60,000 mile interval. The 3.3L is at a 105,000 mile interval (or 84 months). I am at 60,000 miles on the belt, and 70 months, so I should be good for another year or so.

Edited by Eagle

Um...no. 3.0L for 96 (was only in the hardbody), has the same interval as the 3.3L. All VG series engines from 93+ had the 105K interval. That's when Nissan switched to a round tooth design for the sprockets and belt.

Um...no. 3.0L for 96 (was only in the hardbody), has the same interval as the 3.3L. All VG series engines from 93+ had the 105K interval. That's when Nissan switched to a round tooth design for the sprockets and belt.

In that case, this seems to have incorrect information:

http://www.pvgarage.com/sitebuildercontent...es/gatestbr.pdf

thanks