the best pathy to use as a platform

hackler81

i am looking for my first pathy. needs.... handle camping stuff capable offraod easy to find after market parts for. and good mototor platform to build on......

o.k i know that most pathys fit that bill already but what i am asking is is the 4 banger easier to make power for than the v-6

is the 87 easier to find aftermarket things for then say the 95 does one year have a rep for being crap verses another year being known for being the best year built i am looking to buy the truck for about3-4 grand and around here that seems super do-able let me know can't wait to get mine and be able to show it off....

oh yea what is required to get jeep springs under your truck i am looking for about 6 inches of lift and i want to go coil springs and i read alot og guys put jeep springs under theirs to do just that thanks

Sounds like you are leaning toward a WD platform, if that is true, I would advise a 90-95 for the MPI engine, if nothing else. The 4cyl are very rare, but dependable, most US Pathfinders are V-6. The aftermarket is a joke, but there are things there if you know where to look. A lot of what is available has been discussed on the board here someplace.

Yeah, you're going to want the V6. The I4 is an OK motor, in either of its incarnations but you can pretty much forget about making more power for it unless you find a KA-series four in a Pathy (good luck, most of them were Z-series and as GG said most US Pathfinders are V6s); then you can use some of the performance stuff off the 240SX.

The 90-up V6, on the other hand, is pretty much the same engine as in the Maxima and the first of two generations of the 300ZX, so while the aftermarket isn't great, it's a lot better than the one for the four bangers. There are blower kits running around for the engine, for example.

crap my buddy just had an 87 turboed motor for the z31 it was actually going to be my project but he startrd using it for starage parts for his 240 he is into drifting and drifts a 240... i was told that the pathy doesn't make super power however they are pretty tourqey i only want to run 31 or 33 at the way most i don't want to strain the steering system or stress the axles and what not too bad by adding the larger diameter tires... as long as i can camp and use as a daily driver as well is what i am looking for... thanks for being patient to the new guy... i have always loved offroading but am new to the nissan thing my buddy shpaintball as he is known on nicoclub.com is the one who showed me how awsome nissans were he beats his to hell sliding it but it still keeps on tickin same with my other buddy who has a z32 na and it haulls as.s anyhow here in the next few weeks i should be able to find one......

are automatics harder to lift/modify then the 5 speeds.

wd and v6. it has a frame. the r50 doesn't. definitely look long and hard for rusty frame.. that's really the only thing that kills these trucks. engine is almost bomb proof (w/maintenance) get manual tranny if you can find one it seems to have more torque. i like it better anyway.

powerwise: ah, it ain't too bad. :)

are automatics harder to lift/modify then the 5 speeds.

you either lift the frame or the body.. the trannies sit on the frame.

MPG's aren't all that.. i'd say ave ~17 but some do less.. few do more.. 20 if you're way lucky but with lifts MPG's drop.

I have both the 3.0L V6 and the 2.4L I4. The I4 has required less maintenance than the V6 but creates much less power. (The maintenance cost of the V6 is still minimal)

Gearing is a must if you want to turn 33s on a Z24.

As said earlier, the WD platform is better for serious off-roading as it is a body on frame construction, not a unibody.

Either Pathfinder (WD21 or R50) are very capable in stock or mildly built forms. adequate for most camping trips....:)

6 inches of lift can only be obtained by using both a suspension lift and a body lift. (3+3) Unless you want to do a solid axle swap for the front end……$$$

If you plan to run 35†plus tires the 2 door is desirable due to the lack of the rear door getting in the way of cutting fenders… (look into a solid axle swap if you want to run larger than 35â€)

If I recall correctly the V6 was changed from TBI into MPI in 1991, so later model WD21s are preferred. Many of the early 90 pathys came with a LSD rear that can be packed tighter to improve traction, as lockers are limited for the Nissan rear.

4cyl came with a C200 rear = only ARB locker

4cly came with R180 front = no LSD, no locker

V6 came with H233 rear = LSD, Lockright, ARB.

V6 came with R200 front = LSD, ARB locker

Edited by McClurgM

6 inches of lift can only be obtained by using both a suspension lift and a body lift. (3+3) Unless you want to do a solid axle swap for the front end……$$$

Or you could get the Trailmaster 4" lift and combine that with either UCA's and taller springs or just a BL...3", 6", 7", or 10" total on IFS lifts alone. That's just for the WD21's from 87-95, mind you.

If you plan to run 35" plus tires the 2 door is desirable due to the lack of the rear door getting in the way of cutting fenders… (look into a solid axle swap if you want to run larger than 35")

Several people have run 35's without trimming THAT much off in the rear.

If I recall correctly the V6 was changed from TBI into MPI in 1991, so later model WD21s are preferred. Many of the early 90 pathys came with a LSD rear that can be packed tighter to improve traction, as lockers are limited for the Nissan rear.

That was 87-89 for the VG30i/2-doors, then 90-95 for the VG30E/4-doors. Some 1990 2-doors with the VG30E made it into the US but not very many, they're rare.

thanks for the input i ask alot of questions becasue i like to learn and 2 i am into offroading and just mechanix in general i don't alot due to my job takes up everyday but like 4 a month but i am hoping to get an in town one so i can devote more time to my love of offroading

• 2 weeks later...

So, if it is narrowed down to a 90-95 with V6, are there certain years in that range that are better than others?

What are the trouble spots to look for? What are the things to look for maintenance wise that are bigger dollar that if done could be one truck a better buy than another? I assume T belt... others?