got my lift on today!

pathmaker1

thanks to sammyb33 im lifted up now. wasnt too bad but we did run into a few problems. still from start to finish only took about 4 hours. first problem was gettin the torsion bars out of the front. we had to weld a plate on both of em and hit the sh*t outta em with a BFH. it took like 1 1/2 hours to do the tbars. then sam striped the TB bolt(not his fault by any means) so it wouldnt go up into the crossmember but luckly he had his old ones. only 1/2destroyed 1 ball joint so i still got 2 spares now though one has a gaping hole in the boot but it will get me home if needed. we had to take the ball joint spacers off cause the tires were towed in so bad it was undriveable so im gonna have to put em on when i put my new CL from Brian(hoohaa) on in a few weeks and get an alignment. all in all good times!! took about 4 hours. got about 3 1/2"-4" in the rear with the JGC coils and 3" up front but the spacers will give me another inch so it will be level and im about 1/2" from the bump stops so thats definately a good thing. the rubicon didnt work out as we thought they would but the JGC are great. he bought em new and there only about a year old. all in all good times....i feel bad cause i did a hole lotta watchin and learnin than actual work. Sam pretty much did everything with his buddy. he also hooked me up with 2 rancho 5000 for the front and his ball joints as mine were pretty much worn out.....so much smoother now. my truck actually rides better than it did before and my alignment does not look affected at all. no problems crusin 4 hours home at 70-75mph. the drive home was smoother and more plesent than the drive up.

just gotta give mad props to Sam. i couldnt have done it without him and his buddy esp since the tbars were so stuck in the front theres no way i would have got em out at my house. Sam is a really great guy that helped me out so much. he is startin the install of the D44 and should be done in about a month. his rig already looks good but its gonna be badass when hes done with his SAS. Thanks again sam....i owe you BIG TIME!!!!! he also found out i got 4.6 gears which is great...thought i had 4.3's. and my rear is either locked or someone put more clutches in it b/c they definately spin together so i am off to a great start with the pathmaker

im gonna go with either 33x10.5 BFG's or 34 x 10.5 super swampers in a bit. not in too much of a rush cause there gonna be expensive and my tires are fine for now. also gonna rhino line the body upto the pin stripe down the side as Sam did. it looks sweet!!!!!

ill have some pics of my truck up tomorrow as well as my tbars with steel plates welded to em. no pics from the install but i got some before and after shots up. next is customize my manic brush guard for my winch mount and mount my winch and remount my lights. need new warn hubs....the ones i got on ebay arent even close!

im soooooooo freakin happy right now!!!!

Rich

Good deal on getting lifted! :D

But...you guys seriously welded stuff to a torsion bar?

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but that may weaken the bars and cause them to snap sometime. You should never weld anything to or heat up spring steel, it removes the tempering and could cause weak points that will eventually crack and break.

That's not to say it WILL happen, but it could. If I'm wrong I apologize in advance, hopefully it works out fine and there are no problems. Stock t-bars are cheap and there are tons at the local junkyard!

• 2 weeks later...

hah. no guys dont worry, we did not weld to the springs we were going to be using (we installed SAWs that used to be on my truck) we only needed to weld some plate onto the old stock t-bars in order to beat on them to remove them from the front anchors. once removed we greased up the new ones real good and installed those....

You should never weld anything to or heat up spring steel, it removes the tempering and could cause weak points that will eventually crack and break.

What about the JGC springs I'm going to install on my WD21?

I was going to heat up and bend the pigtail coil out......

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...mp;#entry282011

Also not good to heat them up?

Another way to bend them without weakening?