D21 Pickup Swims English Channel

GhostPath

This is a bit late; I didn't post this earlier because I got busy.

The TopGear guys did the Amphibious Car builds again, only this time they tried to cross the English Channel. And this time Jeremy used a Nissan D21 (calling it his "Nissank" as opposed to the "Toyboata" he capsized last time).

The only one to successfully make it any distance out of harbor was the D21, and it made it all the way across to France. It was a spectacular performance. Kudos to TopGear and our WD21s' fraternal twin, the D21.

vlcsnap-15736757.png

vlcsnap-15720549.png

vlcsnap-15736320.png

vlcsnap-15738120.png

vlcsnap-15743781.png

vlcsnap-15745081.png

vlcsnap-15745978.png

vlcsnap-15747046.png

:blink: I don't know what to say about that, or even think about it :shrug:

All I can say is that it's not really all that impressive to *me* By the pics provided they simply added floatation and an outboard engine to a car. A boat is nothing more than a pile of wood, metal and/or fiberglass with floatation and an engine :shrug:

hmm now if it drove out of the sea and still kept on truckin thats sweet...I've never seen the english channel but I believe that would be a hellofa ride...

I've seen a suzuki do that down at the beach where I used to go... he got really really drunk and drove out to a sandbar about 100 yards out in the atlantic at one point and time the whole truck was almost submerged but he made it there and back 2 times...saw it for sale about a month later (imagine it was starting to rust pretty bad)

hmm now if it drove out of the sea and still kept on truckin thats sweet...I've never seen the english channel but I believe that would be a hellofa ride...

I've seen a suzuki do that down at the beach where I used to go... he got really really drunk and drove out to a sandbar about 100 yards out in the atlantic at one point and time the whole truck was almost submerged but he made it there and back 2 times...saw it for sale about a month later (imagine it was starting to rust pretty bad)

Bet the electrical gremlins started to come out too.

I was just about to point out and say the same thing about if he was able to drive out it would have been cooler. But in the pic it appears he had to be pulled out.

It's unclear in the video if he did or didn't. Initially, they threw the line to a shore crew because the tide kept knocking them off the boat ramp they were trying to drive up. It *looked* like once they got it out of the tide it drove out with James May at the wheel, slowly.

See for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8WZEwJZOgA

And it was apparently running a few weeks later when they parked the things in the hangar for the show - audience members observed that it drove in under its own power.

Edited by GhostPath