Broken Sway Bar Mounts, Part II

GhostPath

What has gone before: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17096

Got the new sway bar mounts in today. Apparently I'm not the only one to have this problem, since Nissan has completely re-engineered the mounts.

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

They made the new lower part of the mount out of *two* much thicker pieces of metal, welded them together to keep them from splitting, and then welded some rod to reinforce the corner that mine broke off at. The uppers are also made of thicker material, so you can't mix and match - you must get the new uppers with the new lowers. The new uppers also have a thicker captive nut welded to the back.

If you want to use these on your truck, you will need two lowers, two uppers, and six *new* bolts because of the dimensional changes.

Lower Right: 56234-88G00 (MSRP $11.95)

Lower Left: 56235-88G00 (MSRP $11.95)

Uppers: 56231-41G10 (MSRP $3.90 each)

Bolts: 08127-0251E (MSRP $1.38 each)

Problem solved! Nice of Nissan to upgrade these... though I have a suspicion that Nissan may have used this design in a Frontier and just passed it down to us.

Edited by GhostPath
  • Like 1

Well, consider this.

I broke the stock mounts within one month of installing polyurethane swaybar bushings to replace the trashed rubber ones that were either bad or had completely fallen off.

I was running 255/70R15 tires. Larger than the original 235/70R15 to be sure, but not as large as the 31x10.5 15 inchers that were optional on the SE.

I had not done any offroading of any significance.

I hadn't hit any particularly large or nasty potholes.

I do drive my vehicles hard (read: sideways) but that shouldn't have caused a problem like this.

Nissan thought it was enough of a problem that the replacement parts are significantly stronger and obviously reinforced in problem areas.

I think it is worthwhile for those who drive their Pathfinders hard on pavement. As the earlier link shows, none of the hard-core offroaders here (or in my regional forum) have ever seen this happen; this may be something that only shows up in street use with the forces generated by fast cornering.

And before I get jumped on by the hard core offroaders: I'm not building a pure mall crawler, either. What I'm making is half cruiser, half serious offroader - an urban assault vehicle that can cruise at high speed, yet flick over to a fire road or trail or bar ditch to get around obstacles.

Edited by GhostPath

the only other person i know of who has broken those mounts is Dennis, otherwise known as terrano. from russia (now in canada). but i am not suprised seeing the roads he drove on daily...........

definitely NOT a common problem on WD's

• 5 months later...

I just broke mine this weekend . I welded mine back on and reinforced it. Now I have one endlink closer the CV boot than the other side, as long as it dosen't rub it will be fine I guess. I welded them in the exact same spot so i guess it was like that before. They broke about 2 months after installing poly bushings. If it rubs the boot I am going to take the whole sway bar off and enjoy. :wiggle:

I pulled the sway off this afternoon at work, I did not like how close it was to the boot. I don't really notice a whole heck of alot of difference so I think it will stay off. Nothing seems to be bent, so it is puzzling me a bit. I might buy the new brackets and a new end link kit and see if it fixes it. The sway bar is spring steel so I highly doubt at I bent it but I have see stranger things.

If you want to use these on your truck, you will need two lowers, two uppers, and six *new* bolts because of the dimensional changes.

Lower Right: 56234-88G00 (MSRP $11.95)

Lower Left: 56235-88G00 (MSRP $11.95)

Uppers: 56231-41G10 (MSRP $3.90 each)

Bolts: 08127-0251E (MSRP $1.38 each)

Problem solved! Nice of Nissan to upgrade these... though I have a suspicion that Nissan may have used this design in a Frontier and just passed it down to us.

This part was used on the Pathfinder and the Hardbody pickup.

It is not an 'upgraded part' per se.

Lower Right: 56234-88G00 and Lower Left: 56235-88G00 are the part numbers for the 90 1/2 to 1995 model pathfinders.

86-87 used 56234-41610 (right)

87-90 early used 56234-41G20 (right)

Nissan simply doesnt make the two earlier versions anymore and they both supercede to the parts you got. Pehaps it is because they did design one they liked better for the late 90 pathy. I dont know. SO now, no matter what year you have, if you go to get them it will be this part.

Edited by Alkorahil

guess i'll be popping into nissan to find a pair of these, managed to snap my passengers side one, not sure how long it was there, didnt find it till after i put on the suspension lift, nasty hanging bugger managed to rub onto my steering stabilizer, nice little dentage :(