Brake problem

Stan

My 2001 Pathfinder has soft brakes. With the engine running, if I push hard on the brake pedal it hits the floor. Have never been happy with the brakes in this vehicle. The pads and shoes have lots of meat left. Discs and drums were new not that long ago and have never been turned. The rear shoes are adjusted so that I only need 3- 4 clicks to set the handbrake. Bled the system starting from right rear and ended at left front. Ran a quart of brake fluid thu the system and only got a couple of tiny bubbles. So far nothing I have done has made any difference to the brake pedal travel. No matter how hard I hit the brakes I can't feel any pulsating from the ABS and I can't hear the tires squeal. If I hold pressure on the pedal, it does not slowly bleed down.

Any suggestions as what to try next? Is this a known problem on the 2001?

It should not make any difference, but this has 4WD.

Edited by Stan

Pathfinders have auto-adjusting breaks:

Turn the key to POWER mode and take the parking break off (be sure to be on a level surface first)

Depress the brake peddle FULLY to the floor (and I mean 100%)

Repeat this... I think it was 7 or 8 times.

Start the vehicle and drive it around a little.

If they aren't to your satisfaction, check your fluid level - it should have dropped a little. Top it off and repeat the procedure.

If they STILL aren't how you like, have a mechanic look at them or follow the suggestions that are sure to come from the more knowledgable members of this fine community!

My 2001 Pathfinder has soft brakes. With the engine running, if I push hard on the brake pedal it hits the floor. Have never been happy with the brakes in this vehicle. The pads and shoes have lots of meat left. Discs and drums were new not that long ago and have never been turned. The rear shoes are adjusted so that I only need 3- 4 clicks to set the handbrake. Bled the system starting from right rear and ended at left front. Ran a quart of brake fluid thu the system and only got a couple of tiny bubbles. So far nothing I have done has made any difference to the brake pedal travel. No matter how hard I hit the brakes I can't feel any pulsating from the ABS and I can't hear the tires squeal. If I hold pressure on the pedal, it does not slowly bleed down.

Any suggestions as what to try next? Is this a known problem on the 2001?

It should not make any difference, but this has 4WD.

You should not be able to put a brake pedal to the floor in any car, ever! Something seriously is wrong with your braking system. May I ask who bled the brakes? Was it you or a qualified mechanic. I ask this because I have seen people put air into the system before. There are two techniques to bleeding brakes and the pump with a mate technique requires good timing. Get it even slightly wrong and you have air back in the system The bleed into the jar method is easier, in that it is near on impossible to suck air in, but requires a lot more fluid.

Does your car have discs all round? If so the drum adjustment will not make any difference in pedal hight or stiffness, and only the hand brake can be adjusted via the drums.

Probable causes.....

You either have a gaseous build up, still have air in your system or the master cylinder is faulty. A test for the master cylinder is to put pressure on the pedal then relive it slightly, then resume the same pressure. If the pedal falls, it may well be your problem. Bubbles in the system are self explanatory. Gas build up is new fluid through the whole system as well as the bleed of course..

I hope you get it sorted.

R50 Pathfinders all have front disc, and rear drums. The rear drums could be in need of adjustment. ANother way to adjust them......

find an open parking lot. Reverse at a decent speed, slam the brakes. Repeat. After a few times, the rear brakes should be adjusted properly, and your pedal feel should have tightened up.

sounds like it could be a failing master cylinder; if this is correct you could completely loose braking without warning[and maybe die]; brakes are nothing to fool with, if these other suggestions don't fix it immediately then TAKE IT IN TO A RELIABLE SHOP

I have a spare master cylinder I could sell you... it's from a 1990 pathy though...

I'd give it to ya for free if I wasn't broke XD

Thanks for the offer, but I am going to decline.

As I type this, my Pathfinder is at the Nissan dealer. I don't have time to play with this, even tho I am confident that I will figure it out and fix it, but the day after tomorrow (Saturday) I leave for a 1,000 mile trip, so can't afford to take chances on the road. Hate to take it to the dealer, but broke down this time and will pay the price.

Will let you guys know later what they had to do to fix the problem.

There are a few things I don't play with, such as brakes, tires and steering. For me, I want only the best in these areas, so do not stint on quality.

Thanks for the offer, but I am going to decline.

As I type this, my Pathfinder is at the Nissan dealer. I don't have time to play with this, even tho I am confident that I will figure it out and fix it, but the day after tomorrow (Saturday) I leave for a 1,000 mile trip, so can't afford to take chances on the road. Hate to take it to the dealer, but broke down this time and will pay the price.

Will let you guys know later what they had to do to fix the problem.

There are a few things I don't play with, such as brakes, tires and steering. For me, I want only the best in these areas, so do not stint on quality.

Good to see you tackle this problem in the manner you have. There is nothing better than peace of mind.

Safe travels too.

I didn't see milage, but I would guess...

#1)failing rubber lines

#2)failing MC

#3)air in the lines

I'll put $20 on #1 without blinking, and I don't gamble...

PLEASE remember to post the fix, it may help people in the future.

For me, I want only the best in these areas, so do not stint on quality.

Hopefully, a dealership will provide that. Without the knowledge/resources/time to do it yourself, you have little choice. Best of luck...

B

I didn't see milage, but I would guess...

#1)failing rubber lines

#2)failing MC

#3)air in the lines

I'll put $20 on #1 without blinking, and I don't gamble...

PLEASE remember to post the fix, it may help people in the future.

Hopefully, a dealership will provide that. Without the knowledge/resources/time to do it yourself, you have little choice. Best of luck...

B

This is a high mileage vehicle and I too thought about #1, but on visual inspection they all look good.

I now have my vehicle back and the brakes are great. The dealer said that the brake fluid in the system was too thin, so flushed out the old fluid and installed the overpriced Nissan brake fluid. They did report also finding a bit of air that I somehow missed. Labour and material came to about $70, so as far as I am concerned, it was money well spent.

By this time tomorrow I will be in San Antonio, Texas. Tonight I am not far from Mexico City.

This is a high mileage vehicle and I too thought about #1, but on visual inspection they all look good.

I now have my vehicle back and the brakes are great. The dealer said that the brake fluid in the system was too thin, so flushed out the old fluid and installed the overpriced Nissan brake fluid. They did report also finding a bit of air that I somehow missed. Labour and material came to about $70, so as far as I am concerned, it was money well spent.

By this time tomorrow I will be in San Antonio, Texas. Tonight I am not far from Mexico City.

Good to see you are up and running. I agree, it was $70 well spent.