Rebuilding the front end

Bobby

About how much would it cost for me to rebuild the front end myself vs paying someone to do it. The problem I have is time, it may be just easier to pay someone to do it for me.

I have a 95 pathy

I am talking about a full rebuild.

More details about just what a "rebuild" or "full rebuild" means to you...

Are you talking about replacing soft and normal wear parts (bushings, bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, half shafts, etc) or is there hardware that is normally on the truck for hundreds of thousands of miles or even for life, that also needs replaced (upper or lower control arms, steering box, pitman arm, idler arm, centerlink, torsion bars, interior parts of the front diff, front drive shaft, etc)?

More details about just what a "rebuild" or "full rebuild" means to you...

Are you talking about replacing soft and normal wear parts (bushings, bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, half shafts, etc) or is there hardware that is normally on the truck for hundreds of thousands of miles or even for life, that also needs replaced (upper or lower control arms, steering box, pitman arm, idler arm, centerlink, torsion bars, interior parts of the front diff, front drive shaft, etc)?

It's really just the normal wear parts that I am talking about.

Sorry for not stating that.

Do you know what needs replaced? Is the ride harsh and sloppy? Nasty sounds? You can diagnose the steering, wheel bearings, CVs, and bushings just by jacking it up and checking things out. If you don't have the time to do it yourself, at least you can know what you're getting into before going to a shop, hit em armed. Labor could be really high for that job.

^What he said. It's always best to have an idea of whats needed before going to a shop!!

To do it yourself, there are a few other factors. How experienced are you, do you have the right tools and a good place to work and how long can you afford to have the truck down if there are unforseen problems?

Hey Earth, didn't you do an experiment with some grease for poly bushings? Any info for us?? Am I totally clueless and asking the wrong guy?? :unsure:

B

Hey Earth, didn't you do an experiment with some grease for poly bushings? Any info for us?? Am I totally clueless and asking the wrong guy?? :unsure:

B

Ah yes. I'll look that one up and update it.

Edited by Earth1

some advice from someone who has worked with some shotty people in a shop: definatly do some research and get an idea of what is needed before you go in. but i wouldnt hand the shop a list of what you want. let them look it over and let them determine what is worn and needs to be replaced first and then go from there. they may catch something you missed, and more importantly not replace something you mentioned when it really doesnt need it. you dont know how many parts i have had to put onto self-diagnosed cars that did absolutly nothing to resolve the problem.