Replaced Fuel Tank Now Fuel Guage Doesnt Work

Akaric2007

I recently changed my fuel tank on my D21 to a plastic one then the metal one it came with. It was a direct fit and everything went well. The only problem is that now my fuel has been going crazy and now stop working. Its stuck or staying on empty even when full tank. I thought it was the strainer but that was replaced as well. I dont know what on the fuel gauge sending unit has failed. I am not looking forward to dropping the tank again but the risk of running out of gas is killing me. Every 200 miles I just refill the tank but I rather be able to perfectly watch my mileage to see if its running well. I also thought if it was bad that I could take the fuel pressure or sending unit out of my parts trucks but its a 89 Path 2dr which I think might be different since the tank is in a different spot and looks different.

Since you have replaced with a plastic tank and your problem started shortly after I'd look at grounding. Remember that your previous tank was metal and acted as a ground, so if you had a bad ground it could be more obvious now with a plastic tank.

Is your temp gauge fine? If not it could be your regulator going flakey.

Pull up the carpet in the cargo area, open the hatch in the floor and examine your wiring. If the sending unit wiring came off or is corroded that would cause your problem. No dropping the tank!

I have a Pickup truck No carpet

Since you have replaced with a plastic tank and your problem started shortly after I'd look at grounding. Remember that your previous tank was metal and acted as a ground, so if you had a bad ground it could be more obvious now with a plastic tank.

Is your temp gauge fine? If not it could be your regulator going flakey.

Yeah My Temp guage works fine its just me 2 fuel gauges. I dont know why my cluster has 2 but they both arent working anymore

Thanks for the reply fellas

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know richard dropped his fuel pump and the sending unit quit working...fuel pump worked great but the sending unit quit...so if you weren't careful with it i'd check that out too along with the grounding issue..

I know when I worked on a chevy it was easier to pop out the 8 bolts on the bed and slide it off to get to the fuel pump rather than dropping the tank