Timing belt change problem...need help

GP2001

So I started to take everything apart to take off the timing chain cover, and I cant seem to get the bolt off of the crank pulley. Its a Manual tranny and I had it in gear, and the e-brake on and tried to take the bolt off, the crank turned with is and the car started to move. I got ratchet straps and ratcheted around the pulley to the frame, and 2 of the 3 pulleys making up the crank stayed, but the furthest one back ( has the small belt for I believe powersteering pump on it) still moved.... I figure the only thing I can do is get an impact gun, anyone have ideas of how to get this damn thing off??? Also any tips to make sure I dont screw up the timing would be great. I already have the write up on how to change the timing belt, but any extra advice to make sure I dont screw things up would be great. The write up is great but im still a little uneasy fealing...

Short of an impact gun, here's what you do.

Get a breaker bar and put the correct socket on it, and lean it against the frame rail. (Passenger side, I believe, whichever way will stop with engine rotation, can't remember off the top of my head, and I just woke up :tongue: )

Make sure your coil wire is off the distributor.

Bump the starter, this will loosen the bolt.

Pull the 2 14mm bolts that hold the starter in place, slide the starter forward so that you can get a big flat tip screwdriver into the teeth on the flywheel, slowly apply pressure until the screwdriver locks in place thus locking the crank....

Do the same thing to re-torque the bolt....

Oh ya, this has been addressed several times....

So I started to take everything apart to take off the timing chain cover, and I cant seem to get the bolt off of the crank pulley. Its a Manual tranny and I had it in gear, and the e-brake on and tried to take the bolt off, the crank turned with is and the car started to move. I got ratchet straps and ratcheted around the pulley to the frame, and 2 of the 3 pulleys making up the crank stayed, but the furthest one back ( has the small belt for I believe powersteering pump on it) still moved.... I figure the only thing I can do is get an impact gun, anyone have ideas of how to get this damn thing off??? Also any tips to make sure I dont screw up the timing would be great. I already have the write up on how to change the timing belt, but any extra advice to make sure I dont screw things up would be great. The write up is great but im still a little uneasy fealing...

I tried every combination of straps and junk to hold the pulleys, and finally gave up and bought a pneumatic impact gun. Short of that, what Simon said will get it loose as well. I didn't want to try that and figured the impact gun was a good investment to my pneumatic tool collection anyhow!

Mark everything very well before you take the belt off! I made sure it was very easy to tell where my marks were, and went so far to put white paint on the marks so I could clearly see them. That helped a lot. Don't really have any other advice on changing the belt other than take your time and follow the directions. This was the most major job I've done on my Pathfinder so I was a little nervous as well, but it's really nowhere as bad as I made it out to be!

Thanks for the input guys, I apologize if this is one of those things that been talked about 10,00 times, i'm a newb to this forum, but not to forums in general so I understand the whole "use the search function" thing, I honestly have just been so damn busy I haven't had the time and was lucky enough to be able to post and still get some good responses. Thanks again, i really appreciate it, I think im gonna go the impact gun route, as theres some things that I could use it for on my GTP anyway, so it will prob be a good investment. I heard of people counting teeth on the timing belt or somethjing along these lines, is this really necessary, dont you just line up the marks? What exactly do I need to mark off to be sure i dont screw it up? Am I supposed to markt he old belt where it is lined up with the dots on the cams, and then when I take it off put line up those marks with the new belt and put them on there? Sorry for so many probably stupid questions, I feel like im making a much bigger deal out of this than it is, I just know that if I mess this up and my valves get bent, i'm out of a vehicle for the winter... Again, thanks for all the help, i'm usually very confident on working on cars, but I havent done anything that if done wrong could result in ruining the engine, so I kind of feel like I want my hand held through this one,haha

I did what Simon said and it worked like a charm. Just remember to use the correct puller when taking of the harmonic balancer. I was dumb and used a 3 jaw puller and broke of the lip of my balancer. It was right at 200 bucks for a new one. Another tip is to make a cardboard template so you know where all the screws go for the timing belt covers, there are different sizes in different places. Are you going to go ahead and change the water pump, seals, tensioner, coolant bypass hose or anything else while your in there?

I did what Simon said and it worked like a charm. Just remember to use the correct puller when taking of the harmonic balancer. I was dumb and used a 3 jaw puller and broke of the lip of my balancer. It was right at 200 bucks for a new one. Another tip is to make a cardboard template so you know where all the screws go for the timing belt covers, there are different sizes in different places. Are you going to go ahead and change the water pump, seals, tensioner, coolant bypass hose or anything else while your in there?

yeah im replacing the water pump, cam seals, crank seal, and tensioner if it has some play to it, if i just use an impact gun i dont need to take off the harmonic balancer right?

You will still have to take off the balancer because if you don't, you wont be able to get the timing cover off, or get to the crank seal. It's really not that hard. I used a steering wheel puller, but they do make specific balancer pullers. You can rent them from Autozone or Checker if you don't want to buy one.

A "harmonic balancer puller" is almost EXACTLY like a steering wheel puller, only beefier. I've found, however, that if it's pulling straight (as the puller is designed to do) you need very little force to get the HB off.

hmmm i wonder why the write up has no mention of needing a pulley for the harmonic balancer pulley... I already got a puller for the crank pulley, think that will work for the harmonic balancer, also, not to sound stupid or anything, but which pulley is the harmonic balancer pulley?