brake fluid leak?

Andrew

Im trying to figure out what caused this. My pathfinder has been sitting because I need to do the timing belt. I drove it to the store the other day and the ABS and brake light was on. I took off the cap and checked the brake fluid. It was low, but there was still some in there. I needed to move it the other day, so I went to back it out of the spot, and I had almost no brakes at all. In the spot where it was parked, is a huge puddle of brake fluid. I didnt notice it leaking at all before, ( i have had it for 2 months) what would make it all leak out in a day?

Well because its been sitting maybe one of your lines rotted out, Is it near the front or the rear of the truck?

I've seen lines rot on trucks before that sit over the winter and come spring time you've got no brakes. Brake lines aren't a big job though.

Well because its been sitting maybe one of your lines rotted out, Is it near the front or the rear of the truck?

I've seen lines rot on trucks before that sit over the winter and come spring time you've got no brakes. Brake lines aren't a big job though.

That all depends on where the puddle was. Do you have rear disc, or drum brakes? If the puddle was near one of the rear wheels, it's quite possible a wheel cylinder is leaking. If not, could be a line. I'd hope for one of the rubber ones, and the steel lines that run along the frame, especially to the back of the truck, could be a real pain to replace.