What are these and will they damage my truck?

FogDucker

I just bought a 1996 4wd Pathfinder, when I looked at the shocks I saw these on all 4 coils. It does need new struts and shocks should I keep them on, the ride is not that bad. Or are they dangerous? They are made of some type of hard rubber. Also, I noticed that all of the Pathys I see are missing the center wheel caps, whats with that? Do they just fall off or do they corrode and people take them off?

Pathfinderfrontsusp.jpg

Pathfinderrearsusp.jpg

Pathfindersideview.jpg

Edited by FogDucker

LOL...someone used some REALLY crappy spring spacers to give it a bit of lift. I'd pull them out.

If you want a lift, look at 4x4parts.com. There's a few options there. But I'd get those out for sure....they're not even secured. If they fly out, it could be real ugly.

I didn't even know they were in there when i bought the truck, the guy i bought it from told me i needed new shocks so when i looked under there to check them out i found this crap. I've heard of people doing this in the 70's but didn't realize any one still did it. They are stuck in there really well and as far as I can tell it doesn't effect the ride. The truck has 128k miles and the only problem I have is that when I go over a concrete surfaced freeway and the stress relief joints are about 6' apart it feels like I'm driving on washboard. I am going to pull them out but they are stuck in there really well.

Edited by FogDucker

Jeez man.....jack up each corner of the truck separately, and get that wheel to hang down as far as possible. Then you should be able to get those stupid things out.

Hahaha! Those things are a poor-man's coil spring lift. You can find similar devices sold in the "Help! accessories" aisle of most Pep Boys, Schuck's, or Kragen Auto Parts. Get those things out of there. They should be relatively easy to pull out if you get the wheels off the ground to fully extend the springs.

Probably a good thing you did not take it wheelin or one of those might have shot out then you would wonder why your truck is not level. On a side not that is a good looking R50! I love the black trim over the chrome that is what I got. Although I have no flares.