whats wrong with this pic

bigfisch1191

ok so i have had 32x11.5 tires on my stock pathy for some time, i just got my ford f150 coils in back and i got 3inches of lift i cranked the torsion bars 3 splines and tightend them up and got 3iches of lift in the front also. it looked good so i drove it like that for about a month. then i bought 88s old 33x10.5s just to see how my truck would handel and look and i relized that the front drivers side tire was tilted in big time. so i looked under the truck and the only thing i could find was that i was missing a rubber bushing on that side. what i have been calling that bushing (upper a arm bumper bushing?)

the problem

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/pa...er/pathy016.jpg

passenger side that has rubber bushing

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/pa...er/pathy018.jpg

drivers side that does NOT have rubber bushing

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/pa...er/pathy017.jpg

just another pic of the drivers side. see anthing else wrong?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/pa...er/pathy020.jpg

pathy with 88s 33x10.5 on it

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t318/pa...er/pathy015.jpg

i looked in my haynes manual and it does not say what that bushing is called so i can not try and find one at parts store ect.

also do you think i should go with 2 splines and crank them up? would i get the same lift?

Edited by bigfisch1191

To me it looks like the Camber is off. More shims are needed in the UCA. So if you get the front end aligned, it SHOULD take care of the problem.

Ok, now that I looked at it more closely. You have overcranked your torsion bars. Right now you have zero down travel in the front suspention. It is resting on the bump stops on the passenger side, and the side that is missing the "bushing" is totally missing the bumpstop and you have metal to metal contact. So you should, intill you can get "lift" upper control arms (ie. Rough Country, Calmini etc). Lower your control arms. You need to get lift arms if you want the total 3 inches of lift, and have down travel in the front suspention. Still alignment is necessary!

Edited by Extreme90path

It looks like you are missing the bump stop. Mine did that when I raised it a little to far. I lowered the side and replaced the bumpstop and its still there. You can get some low profile bumpstops or go with factory. IIRC, it wasnt very much money.

You might try and respline the torsion bars, but if they are weak, you wont get much lift.

To me it looks like the Camber is off. More shims are needed in the UCA. So if you get the front end aligned, it SHOULD take care of the problem.

Ok, now that I looked at it more closely. You have overcranked your torsion bars. Right now you have zero down travel in the front suspention. It is resting on the bump stops on the passenger side, and the side that is missing the "bushing" is totally missing the bumpstop and you have metal to metal contact. So you should, intill you can get "lift" upper control arms (ie. Rough Country, Calmini etc). Lower your control arms. You need to get lift arms if you want the total 3 inches of lift, and have down travel in the front suspention. Still alignment is necessary!

yea just after i posted this i looked at it a little more and figured out what was happening there as far as zero down travel. but replacing that "bump stop" bushing thing should correct it as far as the tire leaning right?

yea just after i posted this i looked at it a little more and figured out what was happening there as far as zero down travel. but replacing that "bump stop" bushing thing should correct it as far as the tire leaning right?

no! replaceing the bump stop wont do @!*% for the camber issue, what you need is aftermarket uca and an alignment. also lower the front end!!!! you want a minimum of 1/2 inch between the control arm and bump stop.

Yah, you're definately missing that bump stop....REPLACE IT NOW! I only say that because I was missing that very stop and every other time I went out I broke that axle until I discovered that it was the $5 problem that was costing me 200 a pop...

PM your address and I'll send one to you... I have one lying around....

The problem is that the suspension is cranked all the way up. The tires normally do camber in a little like that at the extreme lower end of IFS suspension travel (full droop, that is) so by setting your front suspension at it's max travel point (full 3" of lift) you have created your own camber problem. New UCA's would help along with an alignment and plenty of spacer shims behind the UCA spindle. You may also need longer UCA spindle bolts to fit enough shims in there and still have the bolts threaded in far enough to make a difference. In the meantime, you probably really should drop it some so that your CV's don't asplode from overextension while running at their maximum angles...the balljoints and steering will waller out early too.

no! replaceing the bump stop wont do @!*% for the camber issue, what you need is aftermarket uca and an alignment. also lower the front end!!!! you want a minimum of 1/2 inch between the control arm and bump stop.

so what i am getting is that i probly dident notice the chamber issue with my other tires becuse they were wider and they probly dident sit at such an angal. so i need to get a bump stop, lower the torsion bars till i get aftermarket lift ucas, then get it aligned. (it has always needed to be aligned, it like to drive to the right.)

i just started to look for ucas these would do the job right?

http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/i...9b78d837e270458

Edited by bigfisch1191

Give "Rough Country" (do a search here for more info) a call and order their Nissan "Hardbody" UCA's directly. RC UCA"s are the same as Superlift UCA's. If they will not sell them or the price is near or exceeds $200 then call back later and try and speak with someone else. Other options are to have a local offroad shop order them for you. You do not need or want the entire Hardbody lift kit, since the rear lift will not work on a Pathfinder, but the front ends of the two trucks are identical.

Once you have them you will need an alignment. You mentioned that your truck has needed one for a while now.. bigger tires amplify the need for an alignment, which is part of the reason you are seeing it more now.

Also do not crank it all the way back up after you get the UCA's and alignment... for ride comfort you need a little down travel and being all the way up is just harder overall on the entire front end.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I went to a local off road shop and ordered the rough country ucas for 166$ and wile I was there I ordered a 3inch BL for 90$ I cant wait to get it on. then in the summer i can order 33 inch tires and have some fun! probly also going to get rough country shocks later on down the road.