Exhuast Question

csutke

So im looking to replace my exhaust system and have a few questions.

1. What are others running for there replacement exhaust

2. Whta options do I have for the 3.3 in a 98 pathy

3. I have found a place that quoted me a price with a FLO-pro muffler arfe these a good brand or should i stick to Magnaflow

4. What size should i be looking at

5. Should I replace my exhaust manafold or leave it alone, its not cracked yet

6. I have heard of others using this maganflow will it work

12258.jpg

as its a sinlge in and dual out or does that make a difference when installing

Sorry for all the questions, im sure that all these have been answered before butim really busy at work and getting settled in to married life and i want to make sure that what i get i will like at it will last me till i get rid of my ride

Thanks

So im looking to replace my exhaust system and have a few questions.

1. What are others running for there replacement exhaust

2. Whta options do I have for the 3.3 in a 98 pathy

3. I have found a place that quoted me a price with a FLO-pro muffler arfe these a good brand or should i stick to Magnaflow

4. What size should i be looking at

5. Should I replace my exhaust manafold or leave it alone, its not cracked yet

6. I have heard of others using this maganflow will it work

as its a sinlge in and dual out or does that make a difference when installing

Sorry for all the questions, im sure that all these have been answered before butim really busy at work and getting settled in to married life and i want to make sure that what i get i will like at it will last me till i get rid of my ride

Thanks

I've never heard of a Pro-Flow muffler. *shrug* Who knows?

Stick to a tube diameter between 2" and 2.5"(2.25" is what many people use), anything larger likely won't help with the small displacement of the engine.

Leave the manifolds alone if they don't leak. :)

I think stock configuration is single in single out so if you want a dual-out muffler, a new tailpipe or extension will have to be built to fit. That's about it.

A friend redid the exhaust in his 3.3L Xterra. Here's what he did.

Cut out 2 of the cats. Only 1 cat per bank now.

Stainless, mandrel bent tubing 2.25" all the way back....no Y pipe.

Dual 2.25" in, single 2.5" out muffler.

He's getting REALLY good mileage now with the higher flow, it sounds great, and he's got more power. He hasn't even added the high flow cats to his setup yet. Those are sitting at home awaiting install.

I think stock configuration is single in single out so if you want a dual-out muffler, a new tailpipe or extension will have to be built to fit.

Its acutually a dual in/single out. Will this muffler work it would need to be backwards as its a dual out and single in

My original exhaust was cut right after the post O2 sensor and 1.75" tube was run for each bank and put into a Dynomax Dual 2" in and single 2.5" out. Don't expect much if any power from an exhaust system. The 3.3's stock cams are so mild an increase in flow here is needed before anything at the exhaust side becomes the bottle neck.

RYI: The R50s are easily capable of a true dual setup since R50s have two cats, one right after each manifold and dual tubes back to the stock muffler. Some exhaust shops might say that the reduced back pressure in a dual setup will cause a CEL light. This is untrue for R50s and was a problem that had to do with EGR backpressure on some newer Chevys.

Edited by systemf

I noticed you're in FT Collins. I am getting my 2002 Pathy done by these guys today: http://www.hanksvillehotrods.com/gui/content.asp

They are doing a full mandrel custom Y-pipe to a single in/out Magnaflow 2.5" muffler and SS tip.. It's a bit pricy (hey it's mandrel afterall), but they do excellent work and are awesome to work with...

thats kinda funny as i sent Hank a PM on colorado4x4.org as he said that he was doing an 02 pathy

Hi, Isaac. What a coincidence; we're fabricating and installing a catback exhaust on an '02 Pathfinder today

How much is that runnin ya if you dont mind me asking

Cool, let us know how the exhaust turns out on your 02 pathy, as I had a true dual from the second cat/resonator back and used 2.25 the whole way (crush bent) and lost gobs of TQ. I put the OE exhaust back on 1 day later minus that second muffler in the system, and returned the Magnaflow. Maybe by keping the pipe small you will keep the TQ and grab some ponies!!

LOL, that's funny. Talk about small world. He's actually the only Mandrel guy I've found in Denver, so maybe that's why. My system, which starts from the exhaust manifold cats and includes new O2 bungs (eastern car with rusted stock exhaust) is ending up around $700. If I had skipped the custom Y-pipe (which I did to try to maintain some torque), and just went with a 2 in / 1 out magnaflow, it would have been much cheaper.

What I like about Hank is that he is very up front with you about costs. If you're on a budget, he'll figure out a way to get it done in the most economical way. I needed a new exhaust anyway, so I didn't really mind spending a little extra to get it done EXACTLY the way I wanted. Shoot, we spent 20 minutes just trying to figure out how I'd like the SS tip to be positioned.. Be sure to tell him that I recommended him if you do end up going there... Oh and I pick up the truck today, so I should be able to post some pics and impressions as long as my internet is working at home..

csutke- there's a place in Denver called BDM Performance Exhaust on Knox Ct. (near I-25) by 6th ave that did a clean job on mine. 2.5", Magnaflow cat/muffler for around $300. I had the Thorleys so I only needed from the y back (not sure about r50s). Pretty cool guys. If you're down here much I can show you their work and you can hear my magnaflow- Not sure if you've heard one on a Nissan, i really like the sound.

I had a flowmaster 5000 series installed on my '97 and one of cats is leaking so it sounds like a popcorn popper up front, but I get complimnts all the time. Throw that resonator out!

Well, I'm having them redo my exhaust because it sounds like ricer crap without the resonators. It sounds great above 4krpm, but around 2-3k where I spend most of my driving time, it's too loud and buzzy...