largest tire size on 01 r50

shortysmash

right now on my 01 r50 i have 255/65/r16 does anyone know if i can put 265/75/r16 on it without rub

You should be able to fit a 30" tire on the rig with no problems. The only rubbing you should get would be on maximum turns and that would be very minor.

i tried installing 265/75/16 on my 01 but it was not even close to fitting. i ended up installing 255/70/16 onto my truck. i had put different O.R. Rims on that had a different offset so that may have made a difference. with these rims and the 255/70 tires, i had to do a little triming on the front mud flap and on the front splash guard infront of the tire. for the splash guard, i just unscrewed it from the bumper plastic, made new holes farther foreward, and re-screwed the splash guard about 2 inches farther foreward. this solved the rubbing problem for me. now that i did this, i might beable to get a little larger tire in there but still dont know if 265/75 will fit. check and let me know, i want bigger tires in a few years when these are shot.

I put 255/70R16 (30") AT tires on my factory suspension, no rubbing. I want to buy some 265/70R16 (31-32") X-Ice tires today, but I'm worried they won't fit. I've read that you need a 3.75-4.00 backspacing to make them fit, but I don't think that would work. The stock rims look to be about 5.25 backspacing, and I have over an inch of tire under my strut with about a 1/2" vertical clearance. 3.75BS may clear, but it'll be very close, especially since I'm going from a 255 to 265.... If anyone can give advice on this I'd appreciate it. Sale ends today, and I'm only buying the tires from the place, since they don't carry wheels I want.

I know xplorx4 and others claim a 265/75R16 will fit with a 2" lift and 3.75 OR 4.00 BS. I think my OME struts might have more overhang than the factory ones. Can anyone attest to this?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd hate to get burned on a $1500 purchase. I chickened out and ordered a set of smaller 245/75R16 snow tires on 16x8 ATX Chambers, 4.5"BS (0 offset) 6x139mm.

atx_teflon_coated.gif

I received a waiver fax that I need to sign and fax back before they ship. Basically, they won't take a return on them if they don't fit. Sounds like they have their doubts, though a shop in town recommended these wheels...

Is there any doubt in anyones mind that these wheels and tires wont fit? I want to run 265/75R16s MTs on these wheels in the summer.

Thanks.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd hate to get burned on a $1500 purchase. I chickened out and ordered a set of smaller 245/75R16 snow tires on 16x8 ATX Chambers, 4.5"BS (0 offset) 6x139mm.

atx_teflon_coated.gif

I received a waiver fax that I need to sign and fax back before they ship. Basically, they won't take a return on them if they don't fit. Sounds like they have their doubts, though a shop in town recommended these wheels...

Is there any doubt in anyones mind that these wheels and tires wont fit? I want to run 265/75R16s MTs on these wheels in the summer.

Thanks.

well, you should have bought the rims first, then the tires. but since you bought the tires first, you need to go to at least two tire shops and have them tell you that they will indeed fit on the rims.

well, you should have bought the rims first, then the tires. but since you bought the tires first, you need to go to at least two tire shops and have them tell you that they will indeed fit on the rims.

4.5" BS is too much if you ever want to fit 265/75/16's on. 4.5" BS will put the tire too close to the strut lower spring perch. You will need rims with BS between 3.75 and 4" if you hope to fit larger-size tires.

Thanks. I've been trying to get answers on the 4x4parts forum. Some guys insist that 265s fit on factory rims, but I don't see it being possible. My small 30" tire is pretty much touching the strut on the factory rim with a 5.5"BS. So, without going to a 15" wheel, do you know of ANY wheels that have a 4 or 3.75" backspacing? Thanks again on the reply. This would have been a $900 dollar set of winter tire rims if you hadn't said anything.

I had factory wheels 16x7 w(i think 4.5 backspace) and 245/75r16 tires and only problem was 1/4" between tire and strut.

I put same tires on 16x8 w 4.25 backspace and the extra width of the rim moved the tire more than the different offset did. Does that make sense?!?

The extra inch is on the outside of the wheel and spreads the tire wider when mounted. Now the tire is well away from the strut and stick out 1-2 inches outside fender.

Only now there is minor rubbing on front fender liner when backing up.

I don't know what you read to come up with that post. I don't currently have any tires that I'm trying to fit on a rim. I recently placed an order for 4 snow tires and wheels (mentioned above) that a tire shop recommended for my vehicle. Other opinions on this site and AC stated that an even larger tire would fit fine on factory rims, which actually have more backspacing, thus less strut clearance than the ones I ordered. Therefore, I felt more than confident enough that these wheels would fit a 265/75R16. I believe xplorx4 and the tire shop are correct in stating these rims will not allow a 265 to clear strut. Perhaps the factory rims that other people have mentioned are different than mine, I don't know.

I'll cancel the order for now. It's obvious I need a 4 or 3.75" BS wheel., which I can't find anywhere. If you know of any, please let me know. I'd go to a 15x8, but the same R50 community believes they may not clear the brakes on later model R50s like mine.

Is anyone picking up what I'm putting down?