Strange noise between 1500 and 2200 RPM

csutke

So ive had this noise coming from my front end now for a few weeks and it seams to be getting worse. It will only happen between 1500 and 2200 RPM and only when in gear. It seams to be worse when theres a load on the engine and at lower gears but it is still there at higher gears. It kinda sounds like uuuuunnnnnhhhhhhh, could this be a power steering pump?

Please help

If you need any help we could try and track the sound down sometime. I miss working on my car so I'm looking for other projects to work on. B)

I've got probably any part you will ever need to fix it so no worries there. If it is a power steering pump we can pull mine off my Pathfinder.

i didnt tension them to a set lb/ft but there all tight, i dont think that it is the ps pump as it doesnt sound like a pump but i have no idea as to what it could be. the reason that i think its the pump is my rack is leaking fluid and im sure that the pump has run dry a few times

Is it a whine, a rattling, squeal, possibly a rhaspy noise? If you describe what kind of noise it is, that would help us pin point it. Try opening the hood and spotting where it's coming from exactly.

Hmmm...

...It kinda sounds like uuuuunnnnnhhhhhhh..

Is it a whine, a rattling, squeal, possibly a rhaspy noise? If you describe what kind of noise it is, that would help us pin point it...

There we go...

ive tired to figure out where its coming from but it will only do it in gear (i dont want some body to stand in front of me while im doing it as i dont want to possibly hurt them) I guess it kinda like a low contstant grumble and i was listening very closley todaty and it happens between 1700 and 2200 rpm when in lower gears.

Have you ruled out the heat shield? Might be that rattling....

ive tired to figure out where its coming from but it will only do it in gear (i dont want some body to stand in front of me while im doing it as i dont want to possibly hurt them) I guess it kinda like a low contstant grumble and i was listening very closley todaty and it happens between 1700 and 2200 rpm when in lower gears.

Interesting. Does it sound like a whine?

I have a whining sound coming out of my front end that occurs at that same RPM range. I had the mechanic who replaced my timing belt (since it started right after I got that replaced) pinpoint it as the bearings in the belt pulleys being old. Nothing bad, just makes an awful sound at specific RPM's.

However, mine makes that sound even when parked and revved, so it might not be the same thing.

You should put it in park and use a mechanic's stethoscope to look for it while someone revs it for you.