Fixing the manual transmission whine

jond8

Hello all,

I have the classic MT whine associated with the low lubrication fill level (FS5R30A). I am on a tight budget and don't have a ton of time to fix this problem (so the 3500$ quote from the dealer is out...) But, I have a hypothesis about fixing it the quick way. I want to see what all you tranny pros think.

The noise only happens in 1-3rd and 5th (not in 4th or neutral). This means that all the bearings on the main shaft should be noise free. This leaves the bearings on the counter shaft as the culprits. The noise gets much louder as you shift towards 5th... 1st = barely audile, 2nd = louder, 3rd = louder still, 5th = screaming....

So this leads me to believe that the it most likely the countershaft back end bearing or the maybe the 5th gear needle bearing. If not a combination of the two. I am thinking this because the radial loads on the counter shaft end bearing increase greatly as you sift towards 5th… (highest in fifth)

It would be fairly easy (once the tranny is out) to remove the back part of the transmission case and use a puller to remove the countershaft back end bearing and pull 5th gear to replace the needle bearing??? Slap the cases back together and re-install. This may allow for a second life for this ol' crunch box. Keep in mind everything else works great.. shifts super smooth etc.

Anyone attempted this fix? Any constructive input is much appreciated!

Your profile says you're in Seattle, right? Have you looked into one of those Japanese engine import shops? When I lived in VA, I bought a 5-speed for my '87 from one for around $500 installed. Might be worth looking into and seeing as you're in a prime place for those shops you might get one cheaper.

I've been calling around and you will not get the job done for 500$... forget the clutch and flywheel...

Most rebuild= services or refurbished units cost 1000-3000

Most used trans run 500-1000$

Labor for install 500-800$

Clutch ~150

Flywheel ~40

If you can get the problem fixed w/ new clutch installed for under 2K... then you are a magic man.

This doesn't count AAMCO, most people that have gone to them seem very disappointed with their work. I think they quoted me 1.8-2K including labor.

Now, does pulling the trany and replacing the 13$ bearing sound more attractive? :unsure: ??? Probably not the most fun job, but 2K is 2/3 what I paid for the damn rig.

Edited by jond8

Does pulling the trany and replacing the 13$ bearing sound more attractive? :unsure: ??? Probably not the most fun job, but 2K is 2/3 what I paid for the damn rig.

That sounds more like it.

I did my swap from auto to manual and I would love to get a rebuild kit for the new to me tranny. If you do it, PLEASE do a write-up for the how to section.(w/lots of pics.)

what year did they switch the tranys out with the correct fill level?

is it at all possile to use a 90's tranny? the trans should be the same correct?

there weren't much differences between the VG30i and VG30e well the back side where the tranny hooks up?

Are you in the Seattle area (as stated above)? If the bearing replacement doesn't pan out, and you're up for trying a used tranny, there were several pretty complete Pathy's out at Meridian Auto Wrecking in Graham last weekend. Its a little drive, but I remember the hassle of trying to find junkyards worth a damn that were close when I lived in Seattle. You might give them a call to see what they want for one: 253-847-1922.

If you're already considering pulling the bearings, you could just do the install yourself. If not, many places won't install used parts, but some will if you acknowledge that they won't warranty the part. I've had great experiences (and cheap- at least compared to other shops) with Central Ave Automotive in Kent. They did my clutch, among other things, when I had no place to work on it. They may be able to work with you.

Good luck. :)

wow $500 installed was that with a clutch and flywheel (resurfacing)? if so that'd be completely worth it...

I think I actually paid $550. I provided the clutch and fluid (so they'd be sure to fill it to the proper level) and don't know if they resurfaced the flywheel or not, so the whole thing was around $750 but ~50k later and it's doing great.

Ahh.. good deal, thanks for the heads up. Tell you the truth I am a bit hesitant about putting in a used unit as don't want to inherit any new problems.

Felton Autoparts (Nissan wrecking yard) quoted me 550$ with free delivery for a unit with 147K miles. I am not so sure that I am comfortable putting in a tranny that has more miles then my current problematic unit.

Just called Kirkland Trans today and they gave me a ballpark estimate of 800$ for bench time and parts (if I bring in the trans). That includes syncros.

Not sure what to do... :unsure:

Are you in the Seattle area (as stated above)? If the bearing replacement doesn't pan out, and you're up for trying a used tranny, there were several pretty complete Pathy's out at Meridian Auto Wrecking in Graham last weekend. Its a little drive, but I remember the hassle of trying to find junkyards worth a damn that were close when I lived in Seattle. You might give them a call to see what they want for one: 253-847-1922.

If you're already considering pulling the bearings, you could just do the install yourself. If not, many places won't install used parts, but some will if you acknowledge that they won't warranty the part. I've had great experiences (and cheap- at least compared to other shops) with Central Ave Automotive in Kent. They did my clutch, among other things, when I had no place to work on it. They may be able to work with you.

Good luck. :)

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Since I want to keep the Pathy for another 10 years, I decided to remove the trans myself and have it completely rebuilt at Kirkland Transmission. They were very very professional and knowledgeable. Turns out the failure is a pitted out rear main bearing. So, for all those on a budget: you can pull the transmission and replace that bearing without a total rebuild.

Total cost for rebuild with new bearings, seals, flywheel grind, and syncros = 1000$

I have the unit back in the Pathfinder... rented a transmission jack this time.. I will never do without one again. Made things sooo much easier.

I have not driven her yet as she is awaiting the NISMO headers and Gibson cat back that are on order. Only had to drill out four broken exhaust studs :angry:

Should be like a new truck.

Edited by jond8

UPDATE:

Since I want to keep the Pathy for another 10 years, I decided to remove the trans myself and have it completely rebuilt at Kirkland Transmission. The where very very professional and knowledgeable. Turns out the failure is a pitted out rear main bearing. So, for all those on a budget: you can pull the transmission and replace that bearing without a total rebuild.

Total cost for rebuild with new bearings, seals, flywheel grind, and syncros = 1000$

I have the unit back in the Pathfinder... rented a transmission jack this time.. I will never do without one again. Made things sooo much easier.

I have not driven her yet as she is awaiting the NISMO headers and Gibson cat back that are on order. Only had to drill out four broken exhaust studs :angry:

Should be like a new truck.

I got really lucky when mine went out. I found a brand spanking new transmission (still had the nissan tags on it) and transfer case for $700. Then tac on 500.00 for shipping. total $1300. I bought a factory clutch kit off ebay for $120 bucks.

I hear you on the transmission jack. so much easier.

Mark

Holy crap... and I thought I was lucky for finding the NISMO headers.. (very rare).. A new tranny is unheard of. Nice job.

JB

I got really lucky when mine went out. I found a brand spanking new transmission (still had the nissan tags on it) and transfer case for $700. Then tac on 500.00 for shipping. total $1300. I bought a factory clutch kit off ebay for $120 bucks.

I hear you on the transmission jack. so much easier.

Mark