Exhaust manifold bolt busted? Need a head job?

Xmas

I know I have a tap on the passagner side and sure am aware that I have a busted bolt.

Called plenty of muffler shops. They are saying that it would need a rebuuld head job to replace them manifold bolts. What the hell?

Are they $hitting me??

They said its because its on the aluminum block...

Tell this is not so....... :(

The shops techs BS'ing w/ me??

There are plenty of people here including me who have successfully extracted broken exhaust bolts and/or put in helicoils without pulling the head. I will tell you it is a hell of a lot easier with a body lift. The shop just does not want to deal with the hassle. I if you look in the how to section I think there is a write up on the procedure, Or there should be :)

Mark

I know I have a tap on the passagner side and sure am aware that I have a busted bolt.

Called plenty of muffler shops. They are saying that it would need a rebuuld head job to replace them manifold bolts. What the hell?

Are they $hitting me??

There are plenty of people here including me who have successfully extracted broken exhaust bolts and/or put in helicoils without pulling the head. I will tell you it is a hell of a lot easier with a body lift. The shop just does not want to deal with the hassle. I if you look in the how to section I think there is a write up on the procedure, Or there should be :)

Mark

Thats cool!! Well right now the pathy is sitting at a local mom and pop tranny shop. They said two bolts are busted off the mainfold on the passenger side. They said they will replace the bolts and also replace the rear mail seal all for a 575.00

I took the offer. So its sitting at their shop right now.

Mark

Well there was not a write up there, so I wrote one up. :)

Hope it helps someone.

Mark

I'm not a mechanic or anything... but just from experience I've had two pathfinders with the same problem and had each one fixed at a different shop... and I've never heard of a rebuild as an option... no ones ever mentioned that to me.... they just replace the broken studs and charge me modestly...

Guys thanks all!!

I decided to hire a home mechanic to fix the exhaust manifold bolts on passenger side (2 were broken), put in a new rear main seal, oil pan gasket and do a complete waterpump/timing belt/all belts replacement.

He is going to remove the whole motor out of my pathy to get it all done. He's doing it all for 1100.00 (parts and labor all included)

Oh he is going to put in all brand new bolts on the exhaust manifold and up-pipe bolts that goes to the manifold. I just dont want see anymore issues with this for the next 100K+ miles that I plan to add to her

Edited by Xmas

While the motor is out... Thow some Thorley's on it.... Timing Belt, Water Pump, t-stat... Do it all while its easy....

Not sure what thorley's is.

-But Yep he's doing that to (timing belts, belts, t-stat). Right now i been waiting to find out if its done, which I hope it is, but for some odd reason he has not returned or answered any of my call right now....

Edited by Xmas

Are they $hitting me??

*snorts* i hear stories like that WAY too often. mechanics see pathy owners coming n rip em off allt he time.

oh.. and only the heads are aluminum, NOT the BLOCK :tonguefinger:

good luck!

(and there's HELLA write ups around for extraction of the studs... in fact, i did one too lol)