KYB GR-2 Shocks

SantaCruz163

Since my suspension is absolutely shot and need new components ASAP I figured I would just get the AC 2" coils to stiffen up my Pathy and give it some attitude. I found this package deal on ebay for, I think is a good price. My question is, will these work fine with the 2" AC coils?

And, I was reading thru some threads and heard talk about strut bearings and how they should be replaced as well. When I hear the word bearing, I usually think of a spinning part so what are these 'bearings' you speak of? What is the difference between the strut mount and bearing? Do both need replacing, etc?

Edited by SantaCruz163

The strut mount is the rubber insulator that the strut shaft attaches to. It's also sometimes called a "strut top-hat". The strut bearing is the plastic disc that allows for the strut assembly to turn relative to the strut mount. Since replacing the strut and/or spring requires removal of the strut mount and bearing, and those parts are relatively inexpensive to replace compared to the cost and inconvenience of labor, it's usually a good idea to replace them so you don't have to repeat the process over again.

This link shows all of the various components of the strut.

It's easy enough to do yourselves. The only thing you'll need is the spring compressors. You can usually borrow/rent these from auto parts stores if you don't have them already. To remove the strut assembly from the truck it's really only 3 nuts at the top and two bolts at the bottom, plus the sway bar end link. Just a note on the sway bar end link, you use an allen key on the end of the bolt and a wrench on the nut, otherwise the when trying to loosen/tighten the nut the bolt will just spin. It puzzled me for a few minutes till I noticed the end of the bolt. Also, be carefull when using the spring compressors, there is lots of built up energy in the compressed spring.

As for those KYB shocks, I would assume those are the stock length and if you are putting in lift springs you will want to get longer ones so they don't limit your travel as much. I can't say what part number you need though, I went with OME springs and shocks...

Is the front suspension easy enough to replace myself with some help of friends? We are all know how to wrench fairly well.

Do guys usually let shops charge them for the install or do it themselves?

It depends on how much your time is worth, the condition of the fasteners on the suspension (i.e. rust/corrosion issues), and if you already have the proper tools. You will need strut coil spring compressors, as well as an air wrench to operate the spring compressors. This link provides a relatively straightforward pictorial walk-through of how to replace the struts.

If you lift the truck using new springs, you will also need to get an alignment.

Air is definately nice , but not required. As stated be careful of the coils, keep them compressed evenly or you will have trouble, and possibly injuries. Take your time, get a manual, soak everything with penetrating oil, take your time and it should go smoothly.

Air is definately nice , but not required.

Well, OK, yeah, air is not required, but it'll take several HOURS of using a 1/2" ratchet to compress the springs with those cheap spring compressors. It's hard to tighten down the compressors when the whole strut assembly wants to roll around with it.

The first time I replaced the struts, I didn't own air tools, and I spent an entire day (~9 hours) doing it with hand tools. I'd have been better off paying Pep Boys $80. So, like I said, it comes down to how much your time is worth.

Edited by XPLORx4