Nissan Pathfinder Reliability

mkaresh

In late 2005 I started conducting reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. I'll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

I start collecting data on a model year when 25 owners are signed up. About 3/4 of the way there with the 2001 Pathfinder, and hope to get there before much longer for all recent model years. So far, 98 Pathfinder owners have signed up for all model years.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

I wonder what kind of reception you will get here. I contributed a few posts to your topic at CarTalkCanada back last summer (and one today to bring back up from the dead :tongue: ), glad to see you are making strides in the numbers (5,000 to 18,000 in a year and a bit by the looks of it).

I may sign the Pathy up, will wait and see a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
I wonder what kind of reception you will get here. I contributed a few posts to your topic at CarTalkCanada back last summer (and one today to bring back up from the dead :tongue: ), glad to see you are making strides in the numbers (5,000 to 18,000 in a year and a bit by the looks of it).

I may sign the Pathy up, will wait and see a bit.

Thanks for the posts over at CarTalkCanada. I've had a number of people sign up from there.

I personally focus more on the number of cars than the number of members. About to hit 20,000 there, including 105 Pathfinders. The 2001 is closest to the minimum, 18 of those so far. Data collection starts at 25.

What is the highest you have for any of the wd21 pathfinders?

IMO You don't need to study pathys, as anyone here can say their reliability is unparalleled compared to the competition. :laugh:

There are a couple of on-site surveys with no minimum sample. Any entries to those are instantly posted to the site.

The Vehicle Reliability Survey used to provide the repair rates has a minimum of 25. Closest so far is the 2001 with 18, followed by the 2002 with 15.

Highest for any model/model year is the 2007 Nissan Versa, with 192. That one makes me happy :D One Nissan forum has been very helpful with a few of the cars.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got those four, so the 2001 became the first Pathfinder to be included in TrueDelta's main survey. Of this generation, the 2002 is next closest, and well over half way to the minimum.

For those who are interested, I recently added a Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb) to the site. People posting common repairs can include a link to a forum thread discussing the problem. I hope this will make it easier for people to find this information, while helping to grow the forums that have been lending a hand with the research.

Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So far there aren't enough responses to include the Pathfinder in the May set of results.

If you've signed up to participate but haven't yet responded to the survey (via a link in the email you received), please do. And if you haven't signed up yet, I hope you'll consider doing so. I'd really like to have these results in May.

I see on a daily basis at least 10 Pathfinders on the road and more than half are either WD21 or R50. I think that says something right there... Of course, if you properly maintain any vehicle is should stay reliable (unless it's a european car). My current Pathfinder is my 3rd Nissan, 1st being a 95 Maxima SE 5spd, 2nd being a 93 Hardbody 4x4 5spd, and now my pathfinder. All 3 vehicles have never given me any problems [knock on wood] so I would consider a Pathfinder pretty reliable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The 2002 has now been added to the survey, while the 2000 is just a few owners short.

The 2001 made it into this month's results, though with an asterisk for minimal sample size. With just under one repair trip per year per vehicle, it's a bit better than average.

The full set of results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

• 5 weeks later...

Guys, really---GET IN THIS !!

I belong and answer my 2 second survey and add facts about my truck and it takes longer to log in than it does to enter info and answer questions---this entire site is about sharing love/hate senarios with you vehicle....just do it!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guys, really---GET IN THIS !!

I belong and answer my 2 second survey and add facts about my truck and it takes longer to log in than it does to enter info and answer questions---this entire site is about sharing love/hate senarios with you vehicle....just do it!!

Thanks for posting this. The 1999.5/2000, 2002 and 2003 are all now both just a few owners short of the minimum.

Additional participants needed for all model years.

• 1 month later...

In the latest results, the 2001 Nissan Pathfinder had a repair rate of 102 successful repair trips per 100 cars per year, which is about average for a 2001.

With more participants, we could provide more precise results, and include additional model years in the next set of results, in February.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to help:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The February set of results included one model year of the Pathfinder, the 2001. The reported repair rate is 100 repair trips per 100 vehicles per year, which is on the line between "average" and "better than average" for a 2001. The sample size was small, so on the site this result is asterisked and only visible to participants.

We should have additional model years in the next update, in May. In the end, though, this will depend on how many owners sign up and participate. The more we have, the better and more detailed the information we'll be able to provide.

TrueDelta now has a separate page for each model's results that includes the results for competing vehicles. The page for the Pathfinder is here:

Nissan Pathfinder reliability comparisons

• 1 month later...