Paint Finish/Color

inqydesu

I am refinishing some of the accessory pieces that have faded. Specifically, The wiper arms (front and rear), rear wing, spare tire carrier.

Does anyone know what the original finish was on these? Was it flat black, shiny etc. The rest of the paint is in great shape - but these make it look old.

Also any tips for refinishing/stripping/repainting these?

I appreciate the help.

I have dug a little more and look like people have used all sorts of things

1) gloss black

2) Flat black

3) Satin Black

4) Vinyl Coatings

5) Specialty Black (Ie High heat etc)

Any pros and cons?

I know it is just paint - i should have expressed this early, I am mainly concerned about longevity of the finish. I repainted my commuter car's blades a while back and within 6 months they looked crappy. The spare tire carrier on my pathy was repainted and looked crappy. I was just seeing if anyone had experience.

One idea i heard was to get black shrink wrap tubing and place this over the arms.

Anyway - any other detail tips would be appreciated.

Well, the original color was more of a satin black...somewhere in between flat and shiny. I've had very good luck with the satin trim paint (Duplicolor, etc) you can buy in any automotive store. It's specifically for metal trimwork on cars. I haven't had any problems with it fading or oxidizing. I painted the windshield wiper arms on my Finder about 6 months ago and they still look perfect. I prepped them first with 400 grit sandpaper and cleaned them with some Prep-Sol.