Spitting Engine

syazoo

Hey guys. My 95 pathy is acting up a bit. Recently the truck puffs out some black smoke when I start it in the morning. A couple times lately it acts like it wants to stall ( sort of a missing/sputtering) when I come to a stop. It is also getting horrible gas mileage. Any idea's on trouble shooting. The plugs are about 2 years old and the air filter is less than a year old and is clean. My check engine light has been on for a couple years. I do not have a code reader.

Thanks.

Edited by syazoo

you don't need a code reader for the 95. Look in the stickies for how to read the codes then let us know what it says. Also, check the connection on your MAF. If you have a loose or broken wire in the connector, it'll run like crap.

Maybe it's just this cold, but after 45 mins of searching, I haven't found anything that says: " on a 95 Pathy do this to check codes".

I think that today I will put my arms around this truck and do some maintainance. I will check connections, clean parts and maybe pick up an O2 sensor at the lodal wrecking yard. I know they have a low milage 88 that I can get parts from.

I would very much like to read codes.

ummmm... take a look at General Topics -> The Garage -> How To's and open the one that says "Ecu self-diagnostics for 87 - 95 pathfinder"

make sure you follow the VG30E instructions and make a note of where your dial is set BEFORE you turn it fully clockwise. Once you clear your codes and turn the key off, you'll want to put the dial back to it's original position/

Edited by k9sar

Thanks for pointing me to that how to thread. I have read the error codes. there is only one, it is 33. If I understand the how to thread correctly then this means I am getting an O2 sensor error. Can anyone verify? Does this seem consistent with my problem?

The NTK unit I bought at Bumper to Bumper was a perfect replacement part. It was a 30 min installation. Engine light is out and the truck is running smother than she has in a long time.

Just in case reading this may save anyone any time.

The O2 Sensor is in the exhaust mounted from the inside and pointing up almost directly in line with the bottom front of the drivers door. The routing of the wire in my 95 is up and over top of the tranny feeding to the passenger side of the engine housing. It ends up in a little tree of connectors just behind the battery. Easy location is to look for a connector with two white and one black wires.

To feed the new connector from the mounting point of the O2 sensor:

1. I removed the old sensor (after letting penetrating oil soak for 20 mins)

2. Installed new sensor

3. Taped connector of new sensor to old O2 Unit

4. From passenger side engine housing, slowly pulled the old wire up which of course pulled the new connector along with it.

Thanks to those that helped me identify the problem part.