Poor Gas Mileage

phattbaztard

i have been having probs with horrible gas mileage. it only cost about $30 to fill up, but im getting @ 180 miles to the tank!! as we all know that averages out to too damn much a month. i have done a couple of searches and seem to think that the 02 sensor could be 1 problem. i was also wandering if anyone knew how to adjust the timing? i believe it is the Z24 or Z24i (dont even know the difference). please help.

okay if any of you are from the dallas area and you see me on the side of the highway stop and he push!!!

OK, I'll do that. What color's yours?

Unless the distributor's been removed and put back, the timing should not need to be adjusted. The computer should handle that.

You're getting about 10mpg, I see. You should replace that O2 sensor if you haven't done so in recent memory. Next, replace the coolant temp sensor for the EFI system, then I'd be looking at the cat to make sure it wasn't clogged.

Edited by GhostPath

Your 89 was probably sold initially in CA. According to the 93 manual I have, even they didn't have a CEL unless they were a Cali-market truck.

Besides, even if he had one, an O2 sensor failure on a pre OBD-II vehicle won't always flip it on anyway.

Edited by GhostPath

it is an 87 model so i dont think the lights come on. i did just change the pcv valve and i can tell that there is substantially more "get-up". i actually bought the truck in late may and i have been doing maintenance since then. btw ghost the color is what i like to call DOG D1CK RED!!! anymore suggestions??

Your 89 was probably sold initially in CA. According to the 93 manual I have, even they didn't have a CEL unless they were a Cali-market truck.

Besides, even if he had one, an O2 sensor failure on a pre OBD-II vehicle won't always flip it on anyway.

mine came from Japan to Wash. State and then on to Indiana. No cali.. ever for that truck.

OBD-I for the wd21s.. OBD-II for 96 and up Pathfinders.. 94 and up on all other Nissan vehicles.

thank you for your reply i believe my clutch is slipping alittle bit im going to have that replaced with my next paycheck hopefully. i believe its the original clutch as there is no paper work that came with the truck stating there was any work ever done to the clutch at all so i believe a major turn up is in the near future. when i got my truck smoged a few weeks ago the tech said i was missing so im gonna replace my plugs and wires possibly check out my distributor cap and rotor