Possible Multiple Problems Need Advice!

98SE

Okay, so I'm looking to buy a used 1997 pathy from a local dealer. It is an SE, 5-speed, 4x4. I used to own a 2000 frontier crew cab so I am some what familiar with the VG series. I know they are prone to cracked exhaust manifolds. The pathy I am looking at is no exception, the exhaust sounds horrible but it passes smog so I'm not really concerned. However there are other problems I noticed during the test drive. The CEL is on and it flashes while the vehicle is moving but stays study when stopped. The shocks seem worn out, (the truck bounces back and forth when I come to a stop). The other problem I have with this pathy is while moving it makes a gear whining noise. I can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Maybe the transmission? However the noise disappears when I let off the gas and comes back when I give it gas (both cruising and accelerating). I made sure it wasn't in 4wd. The dealer is asking 3500 as is. Should I pass. Are these common problems? Any other problems I should look for? Or this particular pathy a money pit like I'm assuming it is.

The tranny noise is probably due to fluid starved bearings in the tranny. It's common on the WD21 Pathfinders. If it does it in all gears but 4th, that's DEFINITELY what it is. Sometimes they can go for hundreds of thousands of miles with that sound, sometimes not.

I would walk away from it based on the possible transmission whining problem and the exhaust. Unless the dealer can fix those or offer some sort of warranty based up those 2 issues, you are asking for trouble. Those 2 problems could cost $2000-3000 to fix in my opinion.

that blinking CEL sounds like a cylinder misfire, might need new plugs and wires, not that expensive

Okay, this morning I told the dealer to have their mechanics look at it and see why the CEL is on and to figure out what the whining noise is. So I called back and they told me that they already sent it to the salvage yard. Apparantly it has a cracked head. I know the VG33's aren't known for cracking heads so obviously the previous owner let it overheat. It must have been a trade-in. I'm just mad that the dealer listed this thing for sale without even checking it out and ended up wasting my time. Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully I can find another pathy.

I would've offered them a few hundred (less than 500) for it and drove it till she wouldn't drive no more.

Wierd our 2000 pathy has a high pitched whine to it in the rear also, we got it at 130k km's and now at 200k kms and its still going, I thought it was normal, its barely noticable. ( i noticed every creak, whine and rattle on any car, because it annoys me.)

Edited by redfinder

Yeah, I would say you were crazy to even consider that for 3500.

Without bragging:

I just picked up a 97 XE and the only issues it has is that the torsion/trailing (rear control) arms need replaced and the a/c comressor is screwed up. I got it for 2100.

The other one I got needs a knock sensor and probably an 02. It is a 98 SE w/ 105k and I paid far less then even the 2100 for this bad boy.

What I am saying is that you lucked out not getting that crapper...be patient & keep looking! (and try to stay away from the dealers)

Edited by lunchindabox