Newb In Va

lunchindabox

What's up fellas..and ladies.

I will start with a bit about myself. I love cars. I go through cars like people go through underwear. Nothing too nice or too new, just beaters. i work on them a little bit but get most of my knowledge from boards like this. As a result, I am a member in every automotive board from Toyota MR2 to the Mazda MX6 to the NewBeetle, Acura Legend, Jeep Wrangler, Toyota truck..ect ect. So I am not new to cars/trucks or forums about them. Infact, I am not new to Pathifnders either. I had a 88 2dr V6 manual tranny back in the day, I think that is the car I kept longest, about 2 years. I had no good reason to sell it and I still miss it, one of the fews out of 60+ cars that I miss.

Well, enough about the past. Last week I bought a 98 SE for dirt cheap, I won't say how much, but let's say I feel like I stole it.

The specs:

98 SE auto v6 automatic with 105k miles. Interior is 8 out of ten, just needs shampoo. Engine sounds great. Tranny smooth. The bad is a check engine light that gives me a knock sensor, o2 senser, evap. I reset them and the light has not come on, but I have not driven it enough and I know it is only a matter or time. When I scan it now, I get a knock sensor but no CEL. Hummmm.

Plans: First I am getting a new TB, H2o pump, and knock sensor. And the o2 sensor if needed. I think i will be paying about $600 for all that. Also I had a bumped up rear bumper and removed it. Looking for a replacement now.

This week I bought a 97 XE. I am giving this one to my brother in law since he got all jealous of the 98. This one is also automatic but has 135k miles. I paid 2100 for it and have n ocomplaints. Blew through insepctions and emmisions but it needs those rear control arm bushings bad. Probably add a timing belt, water pump and some A/C work to that before it is up to par.

Ok, I have gone on enough and now must commit one of the sins of a newb---------> No pics yet.

Anyways, I am glad to be here and vow to search before I post.

Thanks,

TheBox

And the o2 sensor if needed.

Just a warning -- we have 4 of those bad boys on the R50's.

Good times. :rolleyes:

Mine went 2 at a time, all within about a year & a half.

Just a warning -- we have 4 of those bad boys on the R50's.

Good times. :rolleyes:

Mine went 2 at a time, all within about a year & a half.

Yeah, I know...I am hoping the shop can narrow it down with that expensive thingamabober and I can do the swap myself. My thingamabober-Doo-dad only tells me 02..not which one.

UPDATE- i am getting cam seals and all belts redone. Also probably plugs while it is in th shop. I think I am paying 500 total labor for all this crap. Bringing my own parts for the most part.

TB

KS

Water Pump

belts

radiator flush

plugs

cam seals

500 labor+my parts.

Does that sound resonable?