A/c And Battery Drainage

solid snake

Hello all my NPORA peeps! I need help finding a gremlin. Every time I turn on te a/c my battery gets drained. What I have done recently is that I had to replace the oh so beloved upper bypass hose. That in its self was a freakin chore. I think I would have wanted to change my starter again than do that, I do not have a body lift mind you. Anyways, I disconnected the temperature sensor connector, that yellow connection that is behind the rear timming belt cover, I took the distriubutor cap off, and disconnected 2 ground leads that were screwed on to the intake manifold, toward the top of the UBH. When I was done replacing the hose, I lost one of the screws that goes to the ground lead on the intake manifold. What I eneded doing is putting both neg on one screw, put everything the way it was and that was that. Now everytime I turn on the a/c my battery is drained. Does anyone know what the negative leads are from, if they are from the a/c, by putting both on one screw, is that is what killing my battery? What I'm gonna end up doing is replace the battery cable, cuz I know it's in pretty bad condition. But this is all I can think of, the alty is good, it charges the battery good, when ever the a/c is off, the starter was replaced a few months ago, and besides, whenever there is juice in the battery it fires right up.

More than likely, it has nothing to do with both negative leads being on one screw. I'd be more inclined to think it's a bad battery, alternator, or, as you mentioned, cable.

Ok I my problem is fixed. This is my ordeal for today. So I go to auto zone on Wednesday to buy the replacement battery cable. Go home and eye ball it with the stock one, big problem, replacement is too short and to top it all off, I start seeing water leaking from the rad. I pulled the radiator out and saw a tiny hole where the leak was coming from, no biggie, life time warranty at auto zone. I cleaned the rad up and got it prepped for today. I decided to take my battery to get tested, just in case. I tell the lady at the counter that I need a test and possible recharge. Then she asked me a test or recharge, I tell her both. So I start telling her that I need to exchange the battery cable for a longer one. Their computer system showed the cable should be 20" for WD21. The lady at the counter pulls up my application and confirms the part # on the box to that in their system. I tell the lady that it is too short for the second time. Then she goes on an tells me that there are other part #'s listed as well. I am looking at what she is pointing out and I tell her again for the third time, that they are all 20" in length and it is too short, I need something that is at least 3' long. She doesn't even acknowledge what I have told her, so I finally tell her to show me to the battery cable section. I go out, get one for 38" and I am good to go. Why is it always freaking difficult to go to a auto parts store. Before I use to like to go to those places, now I am really getting tired of going into auto zone or checkers. So after my ordeal at auto zone, I replaced the battery cable, replaced my radiator, and go the oil changed. I tested the pathy after I burped her and ran around with the a/c on. Got home again and turned the ignition off and then fired her up again. So I am assuming that this has solved my problem.

Edited by solid snake

yeah, i avoid autozone at all costs. only go when i know they have something cheaper than kragens, and i am armed with the part number already.

time will tell if it has solved the problem. if it starts ok after sitting overnight, sounds good to go. if it doesn't... more hunting is needed.

good luck! :beer:

yeah, i avoid autozone at all costs. only go when i know they have something cheaper than kragens, and i am armed with the part number already.

I agree. Autozone seems to be the cookie-cutter corporate walmart of autoparts.