Lag In Gear Takeup From Standing Start

NZTERRANO

post-4253-1187152771_thumb.jpgpost-4253-1187151891_thumb.jpg

I have an R50 Terrano (Pathfinder by any other name), but I am having an issue that feels like a slipping drive belt from a standing start. It also seems to be more prevalent when I turn a left corner (bizzarely).

The symptom is not dissimilar to the old auto boxes when the primary drive belt got worn and/or the ATF started getting low.

Anybody have the same problem?

It may be worth mentioning that the vehicle is a 1997 3.2 diesel TDI with an auto transmission and 75k (Km) on the clock..

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Edited by NZTERRANO

Since when do automatics have a belt anywhere in them, and what does it feel like to have a slipping "primary drive belt"? Just asking.

Perhaps the torque converter or the bands are referred to as a "primary drive belt" in New Zealand? ????

Edited by XPLORx4

My apologies for the incorrect frame of reference. I am referring to the "bands", but they were described to me as belts by somebody who probably didn"t know any better.

Probably better that I describe the symptom. It is as if the revs climb to about 800 or 1000 before the gears engage and the vehicle seems to "bunny hop" forward. Quite disconcerting when parking on a slight up slope for a new driver..

VERY happy with it in all other respects.

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers

Has the trans fluid been changed any time recently? Does it have a limited slip rear? Sometimes a LSD will shudder or feel funky when turning. Could just need fluid changes! :D

I just had a complete top-to-bottom service and the fluid levels were checked as well as condition. I'm not sure if there is a LSD installed, but unless it was standard, I doubt there is one. Funny thing, now that you mention it, but left corners at low speed also feel a bit "funky" on the drive chain, so may be the case..

Thanks for the reply.