Manual tranny kinda died

Mr. Pickles

Ok, this is weird. My tranny decided to lock up on the way home last night. I started from a stop light, went through 1st, then went to shift to 2nd and nothing. Couldn't even get it into gear... any of them. I coasted off the road and to a stop, tried 1st and after forcing it hard got a nice grind. Then I shut it down, and could shift just fine. Started it back up and no problems, off I went. Its still working just fine today. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

When i used to have a mazda miata (my first car) I blew the slave cylinder on the clutch and it did the same sort of thing.... I was starting from a light, shifted to second, third, and stopped at the next light. When i went to put the selector in 1st from neutral again, i couldn't even budge it. I could push the clutch to the floor, but the plates would not release. I got my brother to pull me home with the samurai and got it into the garage. My dad was a grease monkey at my age and he knew exactly what was wrong. The seal in the slave cylinder had been broken and would no longer pump fluid to release the plates. It was the only time that car ever let me down! As long as the manual pathfinders have hydraulic clutches, this might be the problem. The miata's cylinder cost 85 cdn. and it took me an hour to install. If the clutch is cable driven, it may have slipped a little bit and needs re-adjusting.

But the deal is, after I shut it down and ran through the gears, it works fine. Went home, then drove it to work up a steep hill, in traffic, etc. with no problems. I was almost thinking it was some sort of computer lock-out like I've heard of on some GM's.

A computer controlled clutch? weird... Well it might be the release bearing? I'm not too familiar with the Pathfinder clutches, we've had 3 automatics. If it is a hydraulic clutch, there might be air in the lines too...

There's no such thing as a Nissan computer-controlled manual transmission in a Pathfinder. Your problem lies elsewhere...but I really don't think it's anything like air in the lines or a blown seal cause then it wouldn't shift at all, all the time. Something physically interfering with your shifter lever and the linkage underneath would do that (like a stick or tree limb stuck under your Pathy), or just plain something inside the tranny coming to a state of exact alignment just so you couldn't shift it that one time...dunno. Be careful in case it does it again, I'd say. We don't want to see your Pathy wrecked or anything happen to you!

There's no such thing as a Nissan computer-controlled manual transmission in a Pathfinder. Your problem lies elsewhere...but I really don't think it's anything like air in the lines or a blown seal cause then it wouldn't shift at all, all the time. Something physically interfering with your shifter lever and the linkage underneath would do that (like a stick or tree limb stuck under your Pathy), or just plain something inside the tranny coming to a state of exact alignment just so you couldn't shift it that one time...dunno. Be careful in case it does it again, I'd say. We don't want to see your Pathy wrecked or anything happen to you!

Don't need anything else happening to that thing. Its already been wrecked once this year! Could be something about the stars/parts aligning in that one instance. It just wouldn't do anything at all. Then I shut her down, ran through the gears, and *poof* she's alive. :Magic: Extremely bizarre. I ran it through all gears several times on the way home to make sure. Hopefully all is well, and you all will be the first to know if now. :shrug:

syncromesh 88offroad? Like my old car, and most other manuals, you would have to put the selector into first gear before putting it into reverse to line up the gears...

I've driven sticks my entire life, including some very sloppy ones as well as some tight and stubborn ones. I've never had something like this happen though. No matter what I did, what gear I tried to shift to, I couldn't get anywhere. Then it went away as suddenly as it started. Guess we'll chalk it up to something being out of line in some freak coincidence...? :wacko:

I better not find a nugget! :o Probably not a bad idea regardless, no telling how long since it has been serviced. Gonna have to go back and check the previous posts now to find any tricks. Only time I've ever done this was on a *gasp* Mitsu truck. The horror. :X