I Need Help Bad!

97newbie

I have a 1997 Pathfinder, No Mods just repairs. My Pathy rocks badly from side to side while driving on my daily commute to work and back. I have been told that my model has been known to do this. I have replaced the shocks and struts. It usualy does this at about 3 thru 5 gear. Does any body know what is going on. I have been told to repalace the REAR Control arm bushings but to my knowledge I have a Solid back axle with no control arms. I am at a dead stand still. I dont know where to go with this. With the exception to the wobble which my one year old thinks is a fun ride lol. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott (97newbie)

I have a 1997 Pathfinder, No Mods just repairs. My Pathy rocks badly from side to side while driving on my daily commute to work and back. I have been told that my model has been known to do this. I have replaced the shocks and struts. It usualy does this at about 3 thru 5 gear. Does any body know what is going on. I have been told to repalace the REAR Control arm bushings but to my knowledge I have a Solid back axle with no control arms. I am at a dead stand still. I dont know where to go with this. With the exception to the wobble which my one year old thinks is a fun ride lol. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott (97newbie)

1st Welcome to the family WAVEY

I know a guy in an R50 with the same thing and I'd have to say "Bushes" They do have rear control arms :D

Hope this helps and I'm sure more people will either back me up or correct me :aok:

I had the same issue with my '90 it sounds like. Get under the Pathy and check the bushings on the lower control arms (they seem to be the ones that have the most tendancy to go). See if you can move the arm at all with your hand. If there's the slightest movement, then they probably need replacing.

It feels like the rear axle will start to almost "walk" at speeds above 30-40mph, yes?

I went to AC and bought some polyeurethanes from em, for my rear control arms. Yes, like 88 says, there are four of them. Two lowers, and two uppers. The lowers can be seen going from the frame just below the back door, down to the axle. I replaced my bushings which were completely shot, and now the ride quality is 100x better, and no more adrenaline rushes at 60mph.

Good luck.

Oh, and by the way... I only replaced my lower control arm bushings, two per arm, so four.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is doing the same @!*%, here is what i bought http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=15180

There are also two others ones like it but shorter that sit higher up in the body and I will be replacing just the bushings on those.

I expect parts to arrive within the week and should have the job done Saturday. will keep you posted.

Good Luck.