Post Lift Questions

Soccerstudd5

Well hey guys, just lifted my pathy about 3" a little while ago, and now my front end is a little loose and my tires are closer at the bottom than the top. I know everyone says with too much lift you need new UCA's, will that correct my pigeon toed tires? Also, some of you talk about steering stabilizers, will that tighten my steering back up? Just some things I need to look into before I have to drive back to college at the end of the month.

And if I do need new UCA's, I can call rough country and get the ones for the same year harbody (94)?

Thanks guys! You're always a lot of help!

Yep...you pretty much answered your own question. Give Rough Country a call and get their UCA's...it'll fix you right up!

On the steering stabilizer question...yes it will help get rid of that wobbly/loose steering feel. I put a Pro Comp steering stablizer on my Pathy and would highly recommend it. Feels 100 times better. NAPA and other stores (as well as online 4X4 parts dealers) should carry steering stablizer's if you want to shop around...

You need an alignment. Whenever you mess with the torsion bars, the toe and camber will change and need adjustment afterward. Wait till the alignment is done to see how the steering feels, it will feel way different if the alignment is off sometimes.

You need an alignment. Whenever you mess with the torsion bars, the toe and camber will change and need adjustment afterward. Wait till the alignment is done to see how the steering feels, it will feel way different if the alignment is off sometimes.

Yes inherently an alignment is what is needed to fix his problem...but upgraded UCA's are also a good idea to prevent excess BJ wear etc (aka the alignment shop gets him straightened out, but then his ball-joints are sitting at extreme angles). I believe that topic has already been covered on this forum somewhere... :lol:

(puts foot in mouth)

yes I think you are right GrimGreg...cranking without new UCA's should make tires / \ not \ /.

I guess I read too quickly...go with what 88 said. Get an alignment. In fact pretty much go with whatever 88 says. He's what's called an "expert". lol

Well I tried to get in aligned and one place said I needed $1400 worth of repairs first, but a family friend's shop said it was close enough to aligned that it's not worth messing with.

As far as my tires being \ /, no one knows why? I'm thinking new UCA's anyway and a steering stabilizer. If my center link is shot, will a SS still help at all or even possibly be necessary? Are my ball joints possibly messed up and/or needing replaced?

Thanks guys!

Well I tried to get in aligned and one place said I needed $1400 worth of repairs first, but a family friend's shop said it was close enough to aligned that it's not worth messing with.

As far as my tires being \ /, no one knows why? I'm thinking new UCA's anyway and a steering stabilizer. If my center link is shot, will a SS still help at all or even possibly be necessary? Are my ball joints possibly messed up and/or needing replaced?

Thanks guys!

Did they list the $1400 repairs they thought you needed?

If your tires are like that, then aftermarket UCAs will only make them worse. They are made to offset the BJ out a little.

If your CL is shot, it's too late for a stabilizer to help. If you get one, wait for the new CL to install it.

With the BJs, no way for us to tell if they are good or bad. To check them, jack both front wheels off the ground, then grab the top and bottom of each tire and wiggle it hard. If it moves in or out at the top or bottom more than like 1/4"-3/8" then you probably have bad BJs.

Alright, well thanks guys. I'll have to check on those things next weekend I guess. I have the list somewhere and the CL was on there I think. I have to find it. Well thanks for that website too, I'll let you know what I find out.

• 1 month later...

Well sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been busy getting ready for school and getting going. Here's what Hibdon said is wrong with my front end causing them not to be able to align it:

Front inner seal

Front axle seal

Front inner BRG (?) set

Front outer bearing

Front outer race

Replace both wheel bearings

Replace both half shafts

REMN (?) CV complete assembly

My pathy is only a 94, and I've only had it a year... could it be that this is just wearing out, but not necessarily all needing replaced now? I don't know a lot about front ends, and I know none of you can see it to know, but is all this really necessary for a post torsion bar crank alignment when the alignment was fine before I cranked them? And do I have any other options besides finding someone else who will align it without doing repairs?

Edited by Soccerstudd5

Funny, none of those things have anything to do with the alignment. Well, I suppose if the wheel bearings were so sloppy and loose they were allowing the wheels to tip out on their own it would, but otherwise all those things just stay put. Do your CV axles have ripped or cracked boots?

• 3 weeks later...