Another No Reverse

syazoo

Hi Guys

I have a 95 4x4 180,000 kms. Last week when putting in reverse it acted like the shifter just wasnt in the correct position. I moved the shifter and reverse engaged. Saturday morning on my way to the airport, I get in and it wouldnt engage in reverse at all. I missed the flight.

So, I came here to investigate. It seems that ultimately that no reverse means a rebuild. There is talk of trying to clean the screen. What I have not found is anyone saying this fixed the problem for them. If there is a reasonable possiblility of the cleaning actually repairing the problem then hell yes I will do that. If there isnt a reasonable likelyhood, then I am going to go to plan B, a used unit.

What do you guys think?

Anyone in Canada have an AT for a 95 4x4 they are interested in selling?

Yes, I did check the ATF condition ... its more black than red ... and no I have not put in an aftermarket cooler on this pathfinder yet ... ( I did on my past two ) ....

I do not want to get away from my original question, but I have a second one. I called the local wreckers and found a 92 pathfinder with 39,562 kms on it that has an auto tranny. How can I be sure if it will work in mine without worrying about the starter not fitting correctly etc. (had that prob once before).

If I take my camera out and get pics of vehicle info would that help to identify if it is a good match?

I would still like to find hope in a simple fluid / screen problem ... but only if it is truly a realistic fix possibility.

They share the same transmission designation, the only difference AFAIK is the speed sensor. The 95 has an electronic speedo, the 92 has a mechanical one. *wacks brain for correct info* Well, I think that's the cut-off date. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I believe they can be swapped and the 92 tranny will work fine.

Thanks for the info.

I simply do not have the time to do the swap myself so I have spoken to a tranny shop about the R&R.

The guy there is very skeptical about tranny's from wreckers. He suggests that I invest an hours shop labour testing the tranny with pressure guages to see if perhaps there is a more minor problem. He claims to have pathfinder experience and says that I could have a blown seal of some sort causing this problem. What do you guys think about this approach?

Edited by syazoo