replacing diffs

Guest ross

Guest ross

Being a new member and reading some of the questions and answers from some of the members I gather that most are from the USA. I'm in Australia, Western Australia.

I would like to gain some advice from someone who may have replaced the diffs in his Pathfinder. I removed the auto and replaced it with a manual, I run a 1993 2.7 turbo and fitted an aftermarket intercooler and now find that the ratios in the diff are too low (or high)to maintain speed, too much noise @ 110kph (120mph). The standard diffs are 4.8s and I would like to change to 4.1s. Is there anything available in that ratio in the States. Changing them is no problem, its just the availability

Ross?? as in Ross Higgins

i tried to reply to your email, but what ever i do it wont go :blink:

i will pm you the info

on the subject of diffs

does your transaxle numbe have hg48 in it?

have you read this, its worth the read through to the end (if you can be bothered) read me

if it does we are a rare bread, which means theres other stuff out there easily available ie 4.6 and 4.3 - which are the normal ratios for pathys/terranos

as for 4.1's gq patrols have 4.1's standard & there diffs are a c200 - which there is a slim chance would work

Sorry did you say 120MPH?!?!?! Is that possible in a Pathfinder?!?!?!? I think you meant 60MPH. P...:aok:

I've had mine up past a 105 (thats as high as my speedo goes) ... so who knows?? of course it wouldn't do it now with the 35's on it ... hehe

windows open, full throttle baby!!

Nice touch. People on board definately makes a difference. I've hit probably 100 or so, maybe a tad more. Not sure on the accuracy of the speedo, although it came with 31's. Buried the speedo (100mph) and had maybe a few to go, but I was getting trouble from the Ms.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks every one for replying to the problem. It all works nicely I have managed to fit and reasonably easy a 4.1 diff from a patrol rear of course, stud patterns were the same 11 bolts. Nissan changed the diffs on the 3rd model Pathfinder (same as the one in the 1995 v6 Pathfinder) change to the patrol. The front diff I managed to obtain from a wrecker in Queensland 4.1s also that came from a 1993 terrano front. I now run at 2700 rpm at 110-kph. Same as the auto.